Author Topic: feel test - gland vs scar tissue  (Read 4201 times)

Offline cowboy100

• Posting Member
is there anyway to tell the difference? does one hurt one not, one hard one not etc?

For me it has been over 2 years since my revision...I have some clumps of something in areas around and somewhat under my nipple...when I pinch the left side it is sensitive and hurts a bit. Can it really be scar tissue I mean its right by the incision but how can it hurt after 2 years...not hurt a lot but still sting a bit when pinched

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Scar tissue can be sensitive for a long time.  You can develop a "neuroma" at the site of a nerve injury, which is essentially a very painful scar that results from the cut end of the nerve creating a tumor of sorts, which is very sensitive.  Neuromas often need to be treated surgically.  Scar massage helps to reduce the scar sensitivity over time, but there may always be a little sensitivity.  Pain or the absence of pain doesn't tell one if the tissue is scar or gland. 

As for pain with pinching the spot...you'd have pain if you pinched your arm where you never had surgery, at least if you pinch it enough.  Leave it alone for a while and see what it does (i.e. massage, don't pinch).

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Simple question:  how does your chest look?  Is it smooth and symmetric?  If so, why are you pinching and feeling yourself?  There will always be some scar tissue after surgery -- that is how the body heals. 

Gyne surgery is aimed at removing the excess tissue and providing a smooth and contoured chest. If you have that, then leave it alone and go about your life.

If you have some visible contour problems, then it is best to return to your surgeon.  In any event, pinching it won't help you solve anything.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline cowboy100

• Posting Member
I am asking if I can pitch or feel it and tell if it is scar tissue or returning gland. I do have a problem with how it looks also especially pn the side that has a bigger lump. Also I message it because it feels like it needs to be messaged. The clump on the left is a bit bigger then a marble and stretched along the incision line, the lump on the right is super small, under the nipple about the side of a small button or nail head.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Best to return to your surgeon for his opinion.  Gland very very rarely recurs after surgery -- unless there was an underlying, undetected problem prior to surgery.  In general, if your areolae were originally smooth and flat after surgery, then more than likely what you now feel and observe is scar tissue.  Your surgeon may be able to deal with that with an injection of kenalog or similar medication.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024