Author Topic: Having surgery soon, excuses to get out of work?  (Read 6033 times)

Offline bv3131

• Posting Member
Hey guys, so I have my sugery scheduled for 2 weeks from now.  The only problem is that my work schedule for that week has already been posted.  What should I tell my boss to get out of work?  Obviously, I'm too embarassed to tell him the truth, and I know whatever I tell him will get around to my coworkers.  Anybody have any suggestions?  I feel like I can't say that I'm going out of town, because I will most likely be seen out, since I live so close to my work.  Also, how much time do you guys think I will need off to recover?  My job involved lifting a lot of boxes (some heavy, some not), so I'm a little worred about that.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:36:55 PM by bv3131 »

Offline puffman1

• Posting Member
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:10:18 PM by puffman1 »

Offline bv3131

• Posting Member
Wow really?  4-5 weeks?  I don't know if I can do that.  The lifting usually consists of boxes ranging from 5-30 lbs, but I am not lifting them above my head, usually just carrying them or placing them on the ground.  Is taking only a week off of work realistic?  Also, I could always just take it easy at work too.  Another question, what is the compression vest like?  Is it noticeable under a short sleeve work shirt?  The surgeon also said that I would need to wear some sort of apparatus that drained the fluid occasionally.  Has anybody heard of or had any experience with this?

Offline bv3131

• Posting Member
Ok, I just called the doctor and spoke to one of the nurses.  She said that I should take off at least 3 weeks, knowing that I may need even more time beyond that.  Now I need to think of a good excuse to tell my boss for why I will have to miss work for 3 weeks.  Anybody have any good ideas?  I want to let them know tomorrow, so they can make arrangements to have people cover for me.  I like my job and definitely do not want to lose it.  Can anybody think of any medical reasons for why I would have to miss 3 weeks of work (not being able to lift)? 

Offline puffman1

• Posting Member

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
it depends on where you work and how professional they are. when i'm gonna do my surgery all i'm gonna tell my supervisor is: without going into details, i'm gonna take X weeks off to have a surgery. if requested, i can bring you paper from the dr.
again, it totally depends on the nature of the work you do. my work is a regular office work and everybody is professional.
good luck on your surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024