Author Topic: toning  (Read 2572 times)

Offline serg

• Silver Member
Alright guys,

I've recelty started going to the gym and have been doing quite a bit of cardio as I have a few pounds I want to drop. I've mainly been doing cycling but want to switch to rowing so I can get on with toning my upper body. I usually do 30-40 mins in one session.

Is this a good plan?

Also do i need to be doing crunches also? And is it ok to do cardio and cruches in the same gym visit?

Cheers guys,

Serg
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 03:48:25 AM by serg »

Offline llbean24

• Posting Member
It depends on how many days of that week you are wanting to do cardio.  A good schedule is hit the cardio every other day and then blast your abs every other day on the days you're not doing cardio.   If you really can't do that then it's fine to do your abs on the same day as cardio, but do your abs first so you can really blast them.  Try to work up to 25-30 minute sessions for your abs and obliques.  Most people say you can't pick and choose where you lose fat from, and that is true to some degree.  However, it is possible if you really work your abs hard to specifically lose fat from that area.  Anyone who tries to tell you different needs to do research (and no, looking at posts by other people on this forum and at bodybuilding.com forums does not count as research).  Take your calories down a notch also, but not too far, and you should see some results fast.

Hope this helped.  If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Offline serg

• Silver Member
Cheers, the advice is much appreciated.

Just one question - pribaly a stupid one but coming from a gym virgin. Can you recommend a decent exercise for the obliques?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 07:13:37 AM by serg »

Offline llbean24

• Posting Member
Some gyms have a machine called the torso rotator, which is really good.  Side bends are good, too.  Hold a dumb-bell in each hand and bend at the waist from one side to the other.  Twisted situps are killer for obliques.  Do a normal situp but 3/4's of the way up twist your waist and touch one elbow to the opposite knee.  Be sure not too move your elbows relevant to your head, keep them straight out to the sides and just twist your waist.

All good for obliques.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024