Author Topic: Post Op - Areola Folding, Normal?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline aluks

Hi there,

I just had surgery about a month ago and I have noticed that there is a slight fold in the areola that is occurring on both sides. I am wondering if it is due to the compression vest and the fact that the nipple is being pushed down. Perhaps it is healing in a way such that there is a crease in the areola?

Is this normal? Will this go away? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks for your help...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Although I do not know exactly what was done during surgery, in general there may be folds, swelling, creases, etc of the areola after surgery -- most of which is due to temporary swelling -- and which will disappear in time.  It is most likely NOT due to wearing a compression garment.

At this point, there is very active healing going on and therefore no intervention at all (to treat this) should be considered.  Give it time to even out (probably several months) -- and then go back to your surgeon with questions if it persists.

In the meantime, there is nothing to do but wait it out -- don't worry about something that may in fact disappear on its own -- it will only give you gray hair and wrinkles!!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline aluks

Dr. Jacobs - many thanks for your response.

If, per chance, the folding continues, is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Have you seen these folds happen to patients in the first two months and then disappear as a result of more healing?

Many thanks,
aluks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, there is usually something that can be done -- but would hold off considering any intervention until you are at least 4-6 months post op.  Then it is best to consult with your surgeon -- he would know best what was done during the original surgery.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024