Author Topic: Post-Surgery Supplements/Vitamins/etc.  (Read 1863 times)

Offline roflbbq

• Posting Member
Hello,

I had my procedure today. Haven't posted any pictures/reviews yet because it's obviously too soon. However I'm starting to plan out my recovery activities while I'm waiting for results to show.

I had a few general questions and a few specific ones. General:
1. Is there anything safe/natural I can do to speed up or optimize the healing process, or fluid-reduction process?
2. What vitamins/nutrients would aid in my recovery? Is it best to get them naturally or via supplement?

Specifically:
1. I read that Glutamine speeds up the muscle healing process, but there are conflicting reports. Any thoughts? Can take it as a supplement or in its natural state within protein sources.
2. Are there any particular creams, etc. that you recommend to heal scarring a little quicker?
3. When and how can I start massaging the area? Is there a decent guide for this?

Thank you! Hope to post some results in another thread soon.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
There is little that will have a profound effect on healing, which will speed it up. There are things that can slow it down.  So you want to maintain a balanced diet with plenty of protein. You might consider a multivitamin, though if you're eating well, that's not absolutely essential.  Glutamine has been demonstrated to have benefits in muscle recovery and building, and it's easy to get glutamine powder as a supplement. It's also fairly inexpensive.  Of course, it may not make much of a difference if you're otherwise well-nourished. (I've used glutamine in the past when I was dieting for bodybuilding competition to help maintain lean mass in the face of rigorous exercise and dietary restriction, but I'm not sure how valuable it might be in a non-dieted state.)

With regard to scar treatments, products that have silicone gel (ointment or gel sheets) may help the scar to mature more rapidly, in which case the lumpiness and pinkness may resolve faster.  Generally, the peri-areolar scars fade nicely without much intervention.

As to massage, you should ask your surgeon.  I recommend use of massage after a week or so, but this may be something that he or she has an opinion on, based on the procedure itself.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com