Author Topic: what to do? surgery is not wanted at all  (Read 3230 times)

Offline skyhigh626

• Posting Member
so first off ive looked at this site for years and i weighed 250 lbs but i dropped 50 lbs and now i am 200 lbs solid and i am healthy but i still have my man boobs :( i just need to know what to do next because i desperately want to lose them asap i am 18 and i am 5 foot 9 i work out 3 to 4 times a week with cardio and power lifting

Offline DenverGuy

• Bronze Member
First, congratulations on your hard work. You're really fit. Second, I think you should at least visit a surgeon and see what he/she has to offer. Surgery is a short-term pain in the ass but you've got your whole life ahead of you. Alternatively, you could wear a compression shirt but that's kind of a pain too.

A good, understanding partner won't be turned off by your body. But you might well be more comfortable with surgery.

Whatever you choose to do, you're obviously taking care of yourself and doing the best with what the Good Lord gave you! Best wishes!
DenverGuy

Offline skyhigh626

• Posting Member
I'm guessing only surgery will help at this point?

Offline Mark102

• Silver Member
That looks like only surgery could get rid of that because it looks like you have some gland and sagging there.

Congrats on your weight loss, I'm sure if you got the surgery soon, you'd be happy in around July and go to the beach!

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Surgery is the only option to take care of the problem.  That's all there is to it.  And in all likelihood, if you do your homework on choosing a competent, experienced plastic surgeon, you'll be among the many that say after surgery that you wish you had done it a long time ago.  You're 18.  You don't want to go the rest of your years embarrassed to even remove your shirt in public.  When you look at it that way, there's really no choice but to have surgery.  No one WANTS to have to have surgery, but the truth is....you NEED surgery.  Think about the decades of happiness you'll have instead of on the relatively short time you'd have to spend recovering from the surgery.  Besides....the surgery's not THAT bad. 

I think you need to consult an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in gyne surgery and performs many of them each year.  Look at before and after photos of their previous patients and then choose the one you think does the best job and that you have confidence in.  And don't automatically choose the doctor that will do the surgery for the least amount of money.  This is your body you're talking about, so focus on simply choosing the best surgeon.  You'll never regret it.  The first gyne surgery is when you have the chance to get the best results. 

Good luck.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, congratulations on your weight loss -- you are much healthier.

However, there is a price to be paid for having been overweight -- and that is stretched out skin.  What your pictures reveal is typical of weight loss patients -- residual breast tissue (which does not respond to weight loss) in loose, droopy skin.  The fact is that no amount of exercise alone is going to improve your chest.  Surgery to remove the excess remaining tissues, tighten the skin and re-position the nipple is really your only answer.  There is no rush to do this -- it will happen when you are psychologically ready to accept the fact that surgery is your best answer.

By the way, pay attention to Raider Fan's comments
I think you need to consult an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in gyne surgery and performs many of them each year.  Look at before and after photos of their previous patients and then choose the one you think does the best job and that you have confidence in.  And don't automatically choose the doctor that will do the surgery for the least amount of money.  This is your body you're talking about, so focus on simply choosing the best surgeon.  You'll never regret it.  The first gyne surgery is when you have the chance to get the best results.
-- they are spot on.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

so first off ive looked at this site for years and i weighed 250 lbs but i dropped 50 lbs and now i am 200 lbs solid and i am healthy but i still have my man boobs :( i just need to know what to do next because i desperately want to lose them asap i am 18 and i am 5 foot 9 i work out 3 to 4 times a week with cardio and power lifting

Congratulations on the weight loss. 50 pounds is quite an achievement. Has the skin finished shrinking?  It can take some time after weight loss for the skin to catch up. Weight loss will not deal with gland and loose skin can be a problem. You are not alone, there have been many with similar issues. Here is one typical thread on this forum:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20821.msg141661;topicseen#msg141661

Check out the resources on that post to see many others with the problems of redundant skin and remaining gland after losing the weight. Not all want surgery. For those I demonstrate the effectiveness of body compression garments. That post also has links to actual examples of how those garments can help with the contour of the chest (while wearing the garment). The videos of tissue bouncing are particularly revealing, but not as effective as an actual demonstration of the garment in action. This is something we offer in our office during the consultation as an alternative to surgery. This alternative becomes critical for the individual still in the process of losing weight or with other problems that need to be stabilized first. I build those resources to show that there are options. The garment becomes an emotional bandaid and it is amazing the transformation we see on our patients' faces as they try it on, bending over and jumping in front of a mirror. Many have told me of the change in life style and clothing the garments helped them with.

If you decide to consider surgery, you have a major skin component. Removing the skin is a scar compromise that all are not comfortable with. Such surgery is a major departure from female breast reduction and other gynecomastia surgery. Look for actual before and after surgery pictures to see what skills that surgeon offers. How the tissues move is critical.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline eyooh

• Bronze Member
I think you already knew the answer before you made this thread.

Surgery isn't that bad.

Offline skyhigh626

• Posting Member
sorry for the late reply but yea i visited my doctor again and they have agreed that surgery is best...i am visiting my kaiser surgeon tomorrow and i am hoping that some how they see this surgery as a necessity so it will be covered but only time will tell and at this point its in gods hands...thank you guys for all the advice so far i really feel that you guys bring a really positive vibe to this issue.

Offline skyhigh626

• Posting Member
so i plan on having surgery and i live in the northern va area i met with dr. marefat and he seemed good does anyone know of any other good recommendations out her in this area?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024