Author Topic: Waited until age 59  (Read 2451 times)

Offline jmailer

Like many on this site I began the gynecomastia nightmare at age 13, puberty. It was embarassing to have breasts that were growing larger each day. By the end of high school I always wore sweaters or jackets to cover up. In college I lost some weight 25 lbs., but the breasts stayed.

A few years after college I got married and my wife said the large breasts never bothered her, but my own embarassment continued. Later, kids and a mortgage came into my life. In the 90s I got the courage and visited a P.S. who submitted a claim to my insurance company. Of course, it was denied. So I put the surgery off.

Years passed, but gynecomastia only got worse with age. After the kids graduated college I saved up the money and on March 15, yesterday I had the surgery with Dr. Lo, Philadelphia. I was very afraid of going under general anesthesia, but like President Roosevelt said, 'the only thing to fear is fear itself.' Anesthesia was a breeze and so was the surgery. You drift off to sleeep and when you wake up, it is over. The nurse anesthesist said I was breathing fine, so they did not use the intubation tube. The used the Laryngeal Mask Airway, so I did not have a swore throat after surgery. I did not have any issues with nausea either.

Dr. Lo used lipo to remove 500cc per breast (total 2lbs.) and a small excision under the nipple. There is no pain, just a minor ache in the breast area, which is very tolerable.  I do not have drains. I took Tylenol Extra Strength instead of the Oxy, which was suggested. Today, I removed the ace bandage and the comp. vest and saw my new chest. It is still swollen, but much improved. I feel good, still no pain. Dr. Lo and staff at Tuttlemen Surgical Center, Philadelphia were very attentive. I highly recommend them all.

My suggestion for all those considering surgery is get it done. I wish I had the surgery years ago. I guess the good news is technology has advanced in 20 years. I can't wait to lose a few more pounds in the stomach and take off my shirt in public, the first time in 49 years. I love to swim, but put it off because of the gyne. Life is good, even at age 59.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Congrats, great story! 

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome and congrats, jmailer. 

Offline mart

• Silver Member
Inspiring. Congrats.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Waiting was not what you wanted to do, but it was probably a good thing.

Surgery when you were a lot younger was not nearly as good as it is now.

Like you, I had other priorities for many years. I am not now a good candidate for surgry because of unrelated health problems. Besides, at 73 I really don't get to concerned any more.

Congratulations.
Grandpa Dan

Offline popangul

It's better late than never buddy. Congrats.

Offline captainhowdy

• Posting Member
Hi jmailer
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the result.  Have you got any before and after pics?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024