Author Topic: Effective method for treating Gynecomastia?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline texastoast88

• Posting Member
Living in Dallas, I'm coming to the realization that my choices are somewhat limited in terms of surgeons that seem knowledgeable in Gynecomastia surgery.
Based on other users of this forum, I have eliminated Dr. Dr. Wilcox as an option because this is just simply too much money and too important a procedure to have mucked up. The other surgeon I found is pretty close, Dr. Hamas. I used the search on this website to find him and I just wanted to ask you doctors if you trust his method of doing corrective surgery. The search kicked back this data as follows:

Name
Robert S. Hamas, M.D.
Business Name
Your Looks
Address
8345 Walnut Hill Lane
Suite 120
Dallas, TX 75231
Phone
214-363-1073
Certifications
Certified-American Board of Plastic Surgery
Past President-Dallas Society of Plastic Surgeons
Clinical Instructor-University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
Philosophy
By using special gynecomastia cannulas, liposuction alone can give a normal, natural shape to the chest, even when the breasts are large and fibrous. Excision is not needed, so incisions are minimized and contouring maximized.
Procedures offered
In 1995 I designed special liposuction cannulas for gynecomastia that remove not only fat, but the dense, fibrous glandular tissue as well. This eliminates the incision around the nipple/areola for removal of this tissue and permits better contouring of the chest. For details, see my website -------------.
Years performing Gynecomastia Surgery
Average Number of Gynecomastia Procedures a year

It sounds too good to be true and anything that does sound too good, normally is. I don't have anyone I can ask and I feel that the hunt for a qualified surgeon is almost too much for me - there are just so many to choose from and I just don't think I can afford to fly out to New York or California. Would you doctors weigh in on this method? In gland excision the best way to go in order to guarantee it's cut out? I'm in over my head.
Dallas Mavericks basketball for life

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sharp cutting liposuction cannulas have been described by several surgeons, including Dr. Hamas.  Early in my practice, we had purchased one of these cannulas (not Dr. Hamas'--Dr. Rosenberg's, which was short and stubby), and in steroid-related gynecomastia, where the tissue was often very dense, the cannula didn't work very well.  Dr. Jacobs has previously posted here that he has a cutting cannula that he uses in some cases, though not all.  I have found that excision through a short peri-areolar incision gives me the best control with very minimal or undetectable scarring, and having previously been unimpressed with the cutting cannula, I've not pushed to get another.  I would suggest reviewing patient photos at the time of consultation to be sure that the results are acceptable to you. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I do not know Dr Hamas personally, but he does have a good reputation.

As for the use of special cannulas -- it all depends on the cannula and on the hands of the surgeon.  One could buy all of Picasso's paint brushes -- but very few can paint like him.  Same goes for instruments -- it's not only the instrument but the hands and experience of the surgeon as well.  I agree with Dr. Silverman.  When I encounter very dense tissue as a result of anabolic steroids, it is virtually impossible to remove it with a cannula.  On the other hand, I have successfully removed sub-areolar breast tissue with my cannula thru a tiny incision on the side of the chest -- which negates the need for a peri-areolar incision. 

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024