Author Topic: Prolactin-Related Gyno  (Read 3828 times)

Offline whatupnigs123

• Posting Member
My Story:
-Gyno for about 5 years; puffy nipples and excess tissue
-17 Year Old Male; Seems Like I'm Done w/ Puberty
-5'7'' 162 lbs.; 19-20% Body Fat
-Exercise Regularly (Running & Lifting Weights)
-Blood Test Results Showed: High Levels of Prolactin, Low Levels of FSH
-Been on Bromocriptine for a month and a half; no signs of improvement

Question:
My doctor said that using Bromocriptine will make my gyno go away because my prolactin levels would decrease, and my testosterone levels would increase w/in 3 months. Is this true? Should I really expect my gyno to go away with continued use of this medication?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The gynecomastia that occurs during puberty typically resolves in 95% of individuals, so yes, your condition may resolve over time.  You need to be patient.  Also, before you have any surgery, you need to be sure that your hormonal issues are resolved and stable, otherwise, you'll be setting yourself up for recurrence.  I hope that your doctor is determining the reason for your imbalance. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

DrBermant

My Story:
-Gyno for about 5 years; puffy nipples and excess tissue
-17 Year Old Male; Seems Like I'm Done w/ Puberty
-5'7'' 162 lbs.; 19-20% Body Fat
-Exercise Regularly (Running & Lifting Weights)
-Blood Test Results Showed: High Levels of Prolactin, Low Levels of FSH
-Been on Bromocriptine for a month and a half; no signs of improvement

Question:
My doctor said that using Bromocriptine will make my gyno go away because my prolactin levels would decrease, and my testosterone levels would increase w/in 3 months. Is this true? Should I really expect my gyno to go away with continued use of this medication?

When the hormone axis is out of balance, it can take some time for the body to respond. Not only do the hormone levels need to normalize, you then need the glandular swelling to resolve. Patience is usually key. When stimulation ends, so often does the sensitivity and tenderness. If the glandular tissue is still uncomfortable to pressure pinch, then there is still an imbalance in progress. It was for issues like this I took the time to demonstrate the effectiveness of body shaping compression garments as a temporary contouring option until tissues stabilize. When swelling resolves, it can be wonderful getting great contours without using surgery. I have seen it happen.

Once the body has stabilized, and deformity persists, then surgery may become an option.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024