Author Topic: Newbie with surgery in two weeks...  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Bob_Bobby

• Posting Member
Hi all. I've been reading this site for a while now and been fighting to have gyno surgery for about two years now. I was finally accepted by the NHS (I'm in the UK) and have liposuction scheduled in a couple of weeks. My gyno isn't to do with glands but just abnormal deposists of fat on my chest that basically looks like I have breasts. The surgeon wants to do lipo then maybe (probably) more surgery where he removes skin 6 months down the line. Sounds all pretty normal stuff from what I've been reading but the closer it gets to my op, the more scared I'm becoming. My family are trying to be supportive but keep making things worse by saying how major lipo op can be and pointing out links on Wikipedia about liposuction where it states there was some fatalities in the 90s from it. They're not doing it to be horrible but they're just worried for my safety. But all it's doing it malign me want to cancel! Has anyone had surgery like this in the UK? Is there really such a concern with the safety of liposuction? Sorry for repeating what is probably a frequent thread but I'm really panicking now!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Steady now.  Liposuction, especially in the hands of an experienced surgeon, is one of the safest operations -- period!!

However, I do not agree with your surgeon's approach.  Gyne surgery should be a one-time operation -- not separated into piecemeal procedures.  Your surgeon should be prepared to provide you with the best possible result in one operation.  Just check out the rest of this forum.  Many of the unhappy guys have had lipo only performed initially, only to find that they need more surgery later on.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Bob_Bobby

• Posting Member
Thank you, that's been very helpful and calming! I keep telling myself it's safe but get myself worked up when my family and friends start doubting.

The reason my surgeon said to do it in two stages is because he said it would reduce the risk of bleeding or complications and scarring. His plan is to reduce the 'mass' with lipo then, if it needs "tidying up" (his words) that can be done later. Is this not recommended? The first surgeon I saw said he would just  remove the skin surgically with no lipo but said it would leave a lot of scarring. He couldn't treat me as he wasnt taking on anymore clients so referred me to his colleague who I'm seeing now.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.

Offline Bob_Bobby

• Posting Member
I should add, it may be lipomastia that I suffer with. I say may because my doctors have always referred to it as gyno yet say it's not a glandular issue... That just confuses me even more!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
To say it bluntly:  why have two operations when only one should suffice?

Dr Jacobs

Offline Bob_Bobby

• Posting Member
Very good point. Thank you  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024