Author Topic: Recurrence  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Mr. Puffy

• Posting Member
I have three questions.

Have any of you surgeons had patients that continued to smoke marijuana after surgery?  If so, did they report back any sign of recurrence whatsoever?  What about any other drugs?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
In nearly 20 years of practice, I've only had a handful of patients who cited marijuana as a possible cause of their gynecomastia, and in most cases, it was more likely that the gynecomastia preceded their marijuana use (during puberty), but they had no other ideas for an inciting factor.  As a result, I've been unimpressed by the connection of marijuana and gynecomastia, and the mechanism whereby gynecomastia is caused by marijuana resembles a "Rube Goldberg" device--in other words, the physiology is rather contrived.  My feeling at this point is that this connection is more consistent with "reefer madness" than actual science.  I'm not sure what the other surgeons on the site think about this.  I'm curious if other surgeons have seen more or convincing cases related to marijuana.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
Hi Rick, I would tend to agree most cases that i have seen over the years involving the use of marijuana and gynecomastia are minimally related and the condition was present before marijuana use. I can recall one patient who was a very user of marijuana having the condition start after his use, but that's the only one. In many of my patients who use on a regular basis, i have yet to see a recurrence.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My experience mirrors that of Drs Silverman and Kapoor.  Although many places (texts, the internet, etc) implicate marijuana use as a cause of gyne, I have not seen much proof in my patients, either before or after surgery.

It would be nice to do a true medical study to ascertain a possible link (or to debunk the link) but that is impossible since marijuana is illegal is most parts of the country.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024