Author Topic: Fat cells re-growth after surgery  (Read 1931 times)

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member

How soon fat cells will regrow in chest area after gyne surgery?
for the 1st month, i think i won't be able to do much after surgery..

Can any steps be taken to avoid the fat accumulation in chest area other than maintaining healthy diet and regular exercising?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
An interesting fact about fat cells is that you are born with a specific number of fat cells .Fat cells do not increase in number as you gain weight ,rather the existing cells get bigger.If you eat well and exercise that is great.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Pensler has pointed out, you're born with a certain number of fat cells, and they will multiply during early childhood and puberty, but after that the number doesn't increase--only the size of the cells changes with weight gain and loss.  One of the reasons liposuction is effective is because it removes fat cells, and often the cells targeted for removal are the cells in "problem areas," which gain size the quickest and lose size the slowest.  In patients with gynecomastia, those cells are the fat cells of the chest.  Once they're gone, they're gone forever.  Weight gain generally results in a more even distribution of fat, rather than focused gain in the chest.

If you maintain your regular diet and exercise regimen post-operatively, you should be able to effectively avoid fat re-accumulation. 

I hope that's helpful.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com