Author Topic: Scar tissue and massaging  (Read 2683 times)

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
I have seen lot of threads on these topics.
here are the questions I still have even after I going through those threads.
Am 18 days post-op I still don't have scar tissue.  i want to take precautionary steps to try and prevent the formation of internal scar..

1) Would everybody get internal scar tissue?

2) is there any timeframe that scar tissue will start developing after surgery?

3) When should i start massaging? after I get the scar tissue or even before I get it?

4) Which area should I massage? the entire areola or the only area where incision was made?

5) What cream or oil should I use for massaging?

6) is massaging really necessary? or will it go away on its own?

please note that I am only referring to the internal scars.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
All wounds heal with scars, whether they're internal or external.  You cannot avoid them.  What is important is to manage the scars to avoid any tethering of the skin to the underlying fascia and muscle. It should move in a supple way as it did before the surgery.  Massage helps to accomplish this, though the degree to which this is necessary may vary from patient to patient.  You should speak to your surgeon for recommendations on this since he or she knows what was done and, based on the procedure, when it's appropriate to massage and how to proceed. 

Management of the small incisions is another aspect of scar management, and that is where you might use a scar cream, if you're so inclined.  What you see on the skin, however, is only a small part of the overall scar process that takes place after the surgery, so attention to the external and internal scars is ideal.

Again, your surgeon should be able to guide you best.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
thanks Dr.Rick for detailed reply. I still have a query.. my surgeon suggested me to massage the scars  (especially one on areola crease) using silicon cream..
my query is would it be beneficial if I massage the entire areola instead of just the scar..
can I massage it using any oil or aloe vera cream.. should I necessarily use the silicon cream?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Silicone gel has been shown to increase the rate of maturation in scars, whereas other things, like aloe vera, have not.  You don't need to rub it everywhere--just on the scar.

RS

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
As far as scar development it begins to occur at the time of trauma ie the surgery.All patients develop scar. As far as the postoperative routine  every surgeon does things a bit differently and I would check with your surgeon.Also often the postoperative regimine is adjusted to the specific patient.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024