Author Topic: Concerned how result will look because of Pectus Excavatum  (Read 2578 times)

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member
I am concerned that my expectations are too high to have the chest I want because I suffer from Pectus Excavatum. It feels like a big steep cliff into my sternum, that my chest muscle is one-sided (towards my armpit) and I can't envision what it would look like post-op.

I have yet to see many patients who had the surgery with my chest and that makes me a little nervous.

In one of my pics from below I'm leading forward to accentuate the excess gland/fat on my chest.

I'm thin - 5-10, 157, and work out 3-5 times a week and have little fat. I can show signs of six-pack when in the right position, too, so it's not because I'm overweight...however I can't tell how much is fat and how much is muscle.

Note: This is not the first time I've made a thread, but it's an obsession that's taking control of my mind.

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have done a number of men with pectus excavatum.  The combination of a sunken sternum with enlarged breasts actually accentuates the look of the pectus excavatum.  While there are major surgical procedures available to improve pectus excavatum (done by a chest surgeon), most cases of pectus do not require that type of surgical intervention.

The reduction of gynecomastia in most cases will make the overall chest look better.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline hitchcock

• Bronze Member

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You have provided a number of photos -- but they are all in various inappropriate positions for adequate evaluation.

Would suggest you provide us with simple photos of your chest (only) -- front, side and 3/4 views -- all taken by another person.  And please bear in mind that even with those, it may not be possible to evaluate you without benefit of a physical exam.

Best answer to your question:  consult a surgeon for an opinion.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
You need to understand that correction of gynecomastia involves correction of the soft tissue deformation below the skin and above the muscle and bone.In no way is correction of gynecomastia a correction for the pectus deformity.There is a dramatic range of pectus deformities that range from minimal to severe with extreme compression of the heart and lungs with marked decreased  cardiac output.My patients with gynecomastia and a pectus deformity benefit from the correction but it is critical to understand in your case , and other similar cases as well, what component is due to gynecomastia due what is due to the pectus.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024