Author Topic: How quickly does scar tissue form?  (Read 9639 times)

Offline annoyed30

• Posting Member
I had surgery on Thursday august 2nd and i believe i may have a bit of scar tissue forming already.  Is it possible to have scar tissue that quickly?  Also, it seems everyone has a different opinion on massaging.  What do the doctors here recommend as far as how soon to start massaging.  As of now, i am happy with my results.  Very flat and just a lot of bruising/numbness.  I just want to make sure i do everything i can to get the best outcome after dropping a lot of money on surgery.  Thanks very much for your replies!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's a little early for any scar tissue to be causing issues at this point.  I am a proponent of massage following surgery, and I review this with patients when they come back for their first post-operative visit, which is usually a week post-op.  This is something that you should discuss with your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I had surgery on Thursday august 2nd and i believe i may have a bit of scar tissue forming already.  Is it possible to have scar tissue that quickly?  Also, it seems everyone has a different opinion on massaging.  What do the doctors here recommend as far as how soon to start massaging.  As of now, i am happy with my results.  Very flat and just a lot of bruising/numbness.  I just want to make sure i do everything i can to get the best outcome after dropping a lot of money on surgery.

Four days post op is much too early for there to be any scar tissue present.  Indeed, what you may have is some swelling from the operation itself.

As for massage, I tend to be more conservative than Dr. Silverman.  I believe that massage itself can create swelling if done on areas of tissue that are in the earliest stages of healing.  I therefore defer massage until anywhere from 6-10 weeks after surgery.

In any event, you should pose this question directly to your surgeon and follow his advice -- he knows you best.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline annoyed30

• Posting Member
My doctor told me to go ahead with massaging after 1 week.  I am going to follow his advice but obviously watch for swelling and be sure to bring that up if i notice any.  Thanks for the input doctors!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024