Author Topic: Severe Case  (Read 2489 times)

Offline studentoflife

I would post pics but imagine the worse cases you have ever seen, i probably qualify. I wanted to know how much corrective surgery would run. Also, I have a good job and receive good coverage, High Mark Blue Shield.  The problem is I worry this will not be covered and be seen as merely cosmetic, i would inquire but then obviously my privacy would be at risk.  In your experience has medical coverage been sufficient? or do patients usually have to pay themselves.

Offline studentoflife

Does anyone have any advice?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry -- we cannot imagine.  If you want some advice, then at least post some satisfactory photos for us to look at.  Obviously, no name or face is needed.  I am sure you will then get some advice.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
With or without photos, we can't guess about your insurance, since it varies from policy to policy and from state to state.  In Massachusetts, the criteria for coverage by Blue Cross/Blue Shield for male breast reduction are similar to those for female breast reduction--which doesn't make much sense to me, but makes it simple for me to tell patients that they won't be covered in most cases.  You can contact your insurance company to ask, and they will tell you that the service is covered.  That only means that in those patients who meet criteria, it may be covered.  They can't tell you if you meet their criteria without having a surgeon evaluate you and submit it.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline studentoflife

thank you i will think about posting some pics, this is literally ruining my life. tho i know it pales in comparison to those with 'real' world problems, famine, cancer, etc. still, sucks tho.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
In my experience Blue Cross will not pay for the procedure.This has been the case for over ten years. I once had a discussion with the medical director of Blue Cross, who by the way was a surgeon , and he told me that they will not pay for gynecomastia unless there is biopsy proven cancer present.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024