Author Topic: Seasonal depression  (Read 9923 times)

Offline xelnaga13

Any fellow sufferers of seasonal depression here?

I typically feel great all spring/summer, but as soon as the weather begins to change and the days become shorter I start to get the blues. In years past I relied on antidepressant trials and drinking when it got really bad.

This is the first Fall season that I am facing this condition with out drugs, and it's not easy.

The first week it hits me my sleep cycle completely reverses itself. So I cant sleep all night, but get exhausted and ready for a full sleep cycle around 8-10am. Once I get my sleep back on track, the main symptom is fighting off negative thoughts of despair and general lethargy.

Based on my online research I have been exercising, eating correctly, using vitamins, and using a sun lamp everyday. It's hard to tell if its helping... but I know it cant be hurting.

Does anyone else have any experience>? 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
When I first started to read, I started to wonder.  What is he talking about? Then it hit me! Headache season! Thankfully that was many years ago and I had nearly forgotten.

Starting at the age of about 11 years, I had headaches. I mean headaches so bad thzt it hurts to even think back about those times. Doctors for the next 20+ years rendered various opinions. Some said it was migrain others were not so sure. As a Medic in the Air Force and having access to medical libraries I researched the problem myself.

I had tried many different things over the years but nothing really worked to relieve those headaches. I did have some medication that I could take if I sensed one coming on. Supposedly the medication would prevent a full-blown headache. I don't think it really worked all that well but I kept trying. One day I was cleaning out the Medicine cabinet and found a prescription newly filled and never yet used but out of date. The headaches had ended as mysteriously as they had began. I was in my mid to late 30's at that time.

The headaches could come at any time, but seemed to be more common in the fall. I never had any idea why that was. Hopefully your depression will leave you in similar fashion. Perhaps that is at least something worth hoping for.

By the way, I am now 75 years of age and cannot honestly remember the last time I had a headache.
Grandpa Dan

hammer

My oldest daughter suffers from SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder! Here in MiniSoda with the long winters it is very common. Some people find some help with the right use of lighting. We bought our daughter a special lamp to use but I can't say whether it helps her or not.

I know that it is a very bad problem in places like Alaska, the land of the midnight sun and no sun at all at other times.

Offline xelnaga13

Great responses. I certainly dont feel hopeless, because I know it's just temporary. From what I recall from previous years, the most dramatic symptoms subside by the time full blown winter is upon me.

I think the biggest thing I learned thus far is not to give into it. When we feel down and the weather is colder it's easy to retreat to comfort of the tv and couch, rather than to get outside and be with others.

hammer

Maybe it is time that you look at getting into winter sports! I don't know where you live, but here in MiniSoda my favorite is ice fishing! Now I know that most people get there ice from a freezer but here in MiniSoda us Pollocks like to fish for it. LOL

I have not done it for a long time because of the disability, and I do miss it, but I do fish in the summer! Thank God I don't have SAD all I do in the winter is blow the snow with my tractor!

Offline NO83

• Posting Member
I had the opposite as far as the seasons go and it all revolved around gynecomastia.  I would get depressed whenever summer would come around and it started to get warmer.  You can't be wearing sweat shirts and jackets to hide your chest in the summer time!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The funny thing about that is that wearing out of season clothes, such as sweats and heavy sweaters in the heat of summer, Does not work. The out of season clothing draws attention to you. Slouching merely makes a man look sloppy. None of those things really hide Gynecomastia anyhow.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:07:26 PM by Paa_Paw »

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Xelnaga13, I know exactly what you're going through. I have the same issues.

Even though I live in Los Angeles, CA, and we've been having a heatwave lately, but as soon as the weather turns and the days get shorter, I start feeling down and really tired.

There's a sleep disorder called "Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome," which has something to do with the circadian rhythm cycle, so that people start getting tired in the morning, but are wide awake at night. I've got that, too. Not sure if the two are related, but it could be.

I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft once a day, and that helped with easing the physical anxiety I was feeling, and then I was able to work on the mental ruminations. I tried the sun lamp from Verilux but it just made me feel jittery.

I hope you feel better. And you're right, don't isolate yourself during these times. Balance social and alone times in front of the TV  :) and before you know it you'll be back to your old self.

Offline xelnaga13

Xelnaga13, I know exactly what you're going through. I have the same issues.

Even though I live in Los Angeles, CA, and we've been having a heatwave lately, but as soon as the weather turns and the days get shorter, I start feeling down and really tired.

There's a sleep disorder called "Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome," which has something to do with the circadian rhythm cycle, so that people start getting tired in the morning, but are wide awake at night. I've got that, too. Not sure if the two are related, but it could be.

I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft once a day, and that helped with easing the physical anxiety I was feeling, and then I was able to work on the mental ruminations. I tried the sun lamp from Verilux but it just made me feel jittery.

I hope you feel better. And you're right, don't isolate yourself during these times. Balance social and alone times in front of the TV  :) and before you know it you'll be back to your old self.

It's interesting that you mentioned the sleep issue. Every fall I experience a solid week of no sleep at night, and day time exhaustion. It typically takes me another 2-3 weeks of otc sleep medications to get myself back on track.

I cannot take anti depressents because I have had several severe reactions involving my perception of reality. Example: After 4 weeks of paxil I awoke to a phone call from my mother at 4am telling me I need to come home. So I got up, got dressed, packed a suit case and headed out front to the bus stop. While waiting out front I realized it was way to bright out for 4am, and there were no cars or people in sight. In fact everything looked very odd... I went out in the middle of the road to get a better look and confirmed the fact that it was the middle of the day and my town was completely vacant. I started to get nervous and went back up to my apt.  I must have fallen asleep again because my alarm woke me up at 10am. As soon as it did I realized I had left my luggage out front of my apt with my lap top, and that my mother was prob. worried sick. I ran out front and discovered my bag was missing. Getting back to my apt. I realized my bag was in my closet unpacked... I started getting a feeling that my facts were alittle messed up.. I looked at my phone an there were no calls from my mom.

It was more than a lucid dream, I lost touch with reality completely.

Monkey83

Happens to me, and I have spoken to many friends of mine who get everything from mild sleep disruption to full on bout of depression. Exercise, take vitamins, and eat healthy. No better advice than that. I will also take melatonin if my sleep gets too crazy. Thing that I found helped the most was increase in strength training. Manual labour that sort of thing. If I am exhausted at the end of my day, I feel better, sleep better. (Lifting sandbags until exhaustion is what I do)

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
It's interesting that you mentioned the sleep issue. Every fall I experience a solid week of no sleep at night, and day time exhaustion. It typically takes me another 2-3 weeks of otc sleep medications to get myself back on track.

I've always had this problem, some nights are better than others, but even when I was a child I found it difficult to sleep at night. I usually take Melatonin to help me get to sleep, I don't want to go to RX sleeping pills, and even though I have a schedule where I have to wake up during the weekdays to go to work, I still go to bed at about 1-2am and if I'm lucky, I'll fall asleep withing the hour.

Weekends, if I have nothing planned, I usually sleep well into the afternoon. Even on Friday nights, even though I have to get up that morning to go to work, once I'm at home and it's night time, I can stay up practically all night. It's bizarre.

It was more than a lucid dream, I lost touch with reality completely.

That is scary! Have you tried St. John's Wort? That's an over-the-counter herb that's supposed to help with depression.

Offline xelnaga13

Im trying to stay away from any medication these days. I don't see depression as unnatural anymore. Aside from the season crash, If I feel depressed its usually for a good reason. Im 27 years old and Im about 3-4 years behind my peers professionally, and was behind for a long time socially. Part of the reason why is every time I felt discomfort I reached for a pill or a drink. Combine that with parents willing to step in financially, and you produce a man child. Part of the reason why I stopped all intoxicants a year ago was the realization that they are a luxury I cannot afford being so far behind the curve.

It's amazing the progress ive made in a year. Everyone says that Ive changed so much. I really do believe that my maturation was arrested for years.   

hammer

Im trying to stay away from any medication these days. I don't see depression as unnatural anymore. Aside from the season crash, If I feel depressed its usually for a good reason. Im 27 years old and Im about 3-4 years behind my peers professionally, and was behind for a long time socially. Part of the reason why is every time I felt discomfort I reached for a pill or a drink. Combine that with parents willing to step in financially, and you produce a man child. Part of the reason why I stopped all intoxicants a year ago was the realization that they are a luxury I cannot afford being so far behind the curve.

It's amazing the progress ive made in a year. Everyone says that Ive changed so much. I really do believe that my maturation was arrested for years.  

Depression is very real and far to many people suffer from it and do not get help for it! We lose far to many good people to depression because it is missed or not treated right, or just ignored!

Xelnaga13 I know that you are not one of these people that are ignoring it. I also want to say that you don't need to compare yourself with your peers! You need to just be concern about the man you see in the mirror and focus on him! He does not need to keep up with anyone in some kind of a race!

Now that you no longer are reaching for the pill or the drink, you have made a major and big step forward to your future! There is nowhere to go from here but up! When you look at the man in the mirror, you have a good talk with him and decide where you want to go from here! You are a young man and can go a long way yet, and if you think you NEED to compare with others (and you do not) you still have time to blow them out of the water!

So my friend, you have many skills and talents, and many that you don't even know about! What are you going to do about it?

Bob
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:33:21 PM by hammer »

Offline xelnaga13

Depression is very real and far to many people suffer from it and do not get help for it! We lose far to many good people to depression because it is missed or not treated right, or just ignored!

Xelnaga13 I know that you or not one of these people that are ignoring it. I also want to say that you don't need to compare yourself with your peers! You need to just be concern about the man you see in the mirror and focus on him! He does not need to keep up with anyone in some kind of a race!

Now that you now longer are reaching for the pill or the drink, you have made a major and big step forward to your future! There is nowhere to go from here but up! When you look at the man in the mirror, you have a good talk with him and decide where you want to go from here! You are a young man and can go a long way yet, and if you think you NEED to compare with others (and you do not) you still have time to blow them out of the water!

So my friend, you have many skills and talents, and many that you don't even know about! What are you going to do about it?

Bob

Thank you for your supportive post and good points. Comparing myself to others is definitely something I should work on. Being 27 is seem like every conversation with my peers starts out with " what are you doing these days", which roughly translates to " please tell me what you're doing for a living". Ive made an art form out of avoiding these interactions, mainly because everyone exaggerates making a data entry temp. a CFO.

hammer

There is so much more to life then what you do for a living! That just like so many other things does not make you who you are as a man! That just says what you do, and in the end, who the hell even cares! Think about that! I know at 27 you don't see that yet, but believe me, it really does not matter at all in the end!

I have known men that had what some my call the lowest jobs that you could want be the most upstanding men you would ever know, and the highest paid men with great high office and status be the most low down dishonest, cheating men you could ever know! Just look now farther then our elected government for an example.

The job don't make the man! It is the kind of person you are that makes you the man you want to be! The kind of son to your parents, husband to your wife, father to your children, and friend to a friend, and friend to a stranger, and last but not least, how you treat yourself.

Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024