Author Topic: Do I have gynecomastia ?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline shashank2205

• Posting Member
hello Doctor,

I just wanted to know if I have gynecomastia and what should I  do for it..

I'm shashank and my age is 23, weight 68kgs and height 5 feet 8 inches

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Based on that single photograph, I would say that you do, though it's not severe.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline shashank2205

• Posting Member
I'm psychological very disturb because of this. I've even gone to a level of excess dieting and excess exercise when my friends started making fun of me.. due to which I ended up have chronic fatigues.. and now I have to take nexito plus daily.. doctors out here say I do not have gynecomastia and so does my dad..
So please help me out with this.. whatever this is,, lets solve it..

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Gynecomastia is a descriptive term, describing a male breast with characteristics that are more typical of the appearance of a female breast.  The shape and severity differs from person to person, and in some individuals, mild gynecomastia will make them crazy, while in other individuals, severe gynecomastia is ignored and life goes on without interruption.  I don't understand how a doctor providing a diagnosis will impact your concern over the condition--it clearly bothers you, and the appearance of your chest is not satisfactory TO YOU.  If that is indeed the case, it's irrelevant if it's gynecomastia or pseudo-gynecomastia (a differentiating term, which has little meaning in the grand scheme of gynecomastia management), since both conditions, if bothersome enough, compel surgical treatment based on the anatomic and histologic findings, not on the term used to describe the condition. 

Your photos are typical of patients in my practice who have a mild to moderate case of gynecomastia, and well-executed surgical correction would likely give you an appearance to your chest, which is more masculine and "harder" or "leaner" to the eye.  You don't require the procedure. It's possible that some weight management might improve the appearance.  Often, however, loss of fat causes sub-areolar tissue, which is glandular in nature, to appear more prominent, making it actually look worse.  This is not something that can be detected looking at the photos. 

Offline shashank2205

• Posting Member
Thank you Doctor Rick silverman..

your advise is really helpful.. and Now I completely understand what the it is..

Now my next step is I start saving money.. and do some normal workout.. and despite all, if it still bothers me.. I would prefer getting it corrected surgical.

and just for the sake of advise for future. can u suggest me the how the surgical procedure should take place for my condition and what are the necessary things I need ask my surgeon. and if possible can u suggest any surgeon in India ?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
I'm not aware of any Indian surgeons on this board, but there are many members from India, who may be able to suggest a surgeon. 

Most likely, I would address your problem with a combination of liposuction and excision, but that's based only on the photos, rather than exam.  Plus, I often make that decision on the operating table--though most of the time, I do both. 

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024