Author Topic: Some Post Op advice re fluid build up  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Wireman

• Posting Member
Had a pretty crap day today.

Katarzyna told me to go and see my GP to have my left side drained after I emailed her explaining that I have a bit of a boob filled with fluid in my left hand side.

Unfortunately, my GP couldn't have been more unhelpful. Firstly I was given a lecture about expecting the nhs to pick up the pieces after surgery abroad fails. I politely suggested that I wouldn't have gone abroad if the surgery had of been available on the nhs. I then got a very smug "its just cosmetic surgery" response from her. It just took me back to pre op times and rehighlighted the ignorance surrounding the issue.

Ultimately though I didn't go for an exchange of opinion, I just wanted advice. Anyway, I was told that draining the fluid was a ridiculous suggestion as the fluid should be left to naturally absorb.

Has anyone had similar issues with regards to swelling and draining and therefore any advice? Has anyone done it themselves?

Offline Poland2012

• Silver Member
I get a little uneasy whenever we get to pious about the U.S. health system.

There aren't pieces to pick up; that's the natural result of the surgery and part of the process. My left hand side - which had a massive gland that was attached to a lot of skin - swelled up a lot after a week. Once the blood vessels heal it will go down, but this can take several weeks. It took 3 weeks for it to go down, and 6 weeks before it was completely dry. I aspirated myself with a 20ml syringe and an 18 gauge needle. Make sure to sterilise the area (do you still have the peroxide from the pharmacy?) and keep compression on it. Best of luck, mate.

Offline r1

• Posting Member
The reason they wont drain is it that it there is a high chance of infection and that could lead to an abcess. Just leave it to absorb naturally if in three to four weeks it hasnt gone down or it gets ridiculously large then go back but ask for a diferent doctor.

Offline zack42

• Silver Member
What an awful attitude from the doctor and shows a level of ignorance too.

Swelling is a natural reaction to surgery but I would agree with r1 - keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go down naturally, go and see a different doctor and don't take no for an answer.

I'd even consider making a complaint.

Offline Poland2012

• Silver Member
I don't imagine that it's worth the complaint. Let it go and be glad you didn't have to jump through NHS hoops.

Offline Wireman

• Posting Member
Saw another doctor today. Much better.

Still have persistent redness and warming on left hand side. Been given penicillin based anti biotics to try and help. Am slightly worried by it.

The right side by contrast looks like surgery never happened.

Offline r1

• Posting Member
If will be fine the antibiotics will make the swelling gl down amd redness go. Worked for me. Also the redness may be due to the blood just under the ski  rather than an infection.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024