Author Topic: My Surgery Procedure Option Need Doctors Advice  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
Hi Doctors, recently I have booked my consultation with Dr. Alex Chambers and she said I have Mild Gynecomastia and that she would offer the surgery with Vaser Liposuction and Incision under Local Anasthesia to start off with and Sedation after some time during the surgery.

My question is would this hurt? since i will be awake it will be under Local Anastehsia and during sometime the surgery she said she will give sedation that will make me feel sleepy i dont know why.

However would is it painful to do this surgery like this? i mean even if there is pain would i be able to cope with it? And i am 17 years old

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is my conclusion, after having tried every conceivable type of anesthesia for this operation, that the nature of appropriate and satisfactory gyne surgery requires deeper anesthesia than that which is provided by local anesthesia alone.

Most guys want this to be their one and only operation to rid themselves of an embarrassing problem.  Why subject oneself to unnecessary pain???? 

There are only a few cases in my practice in which I would opt for local anesthesia.  For the vast majority of patients, twilight sleep anesthesia is preferred.  Some of my colleagues prefer general anesthesia -- and that is fine too. 

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I recommend either conscious sedation or general anesthesia for my patients for their primary procedure. I will do revisions with straight local anesthesia in my office, but in order to get the best results with the primary operation, deeper sedation or general anesthesia is best in most cases.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
Doctors my question was that would i feel any pain under Local anasthesia and sedation? I did not ask what sort of Anasthesia you use for your Gynecomastia patients....

Regards....

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A bit of sedation given by a surgeon is not the same as deep sedation provided by an anesthesiologist.

Yes, I do most of my surgery under local anesthesia supplemented by twilight sleep provided by an anesthesiologist.  Twilight is deep enough so that much of the pain would not be felt.

Local anesthesia and a bit of sedation may not be sufficient to keep you comfortable.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
For many years, at my previous job, I oversaw the administration of intravenous sedation using Demerol and Versed, and the patients did well.  I didn't feel like my results were compromised, though the patients were sometimes aware of discomfort--we'd give them a little more sedation, take a few deep breaths, and forge ahead.  This is different from the "twilight sleep," which is often with Propofol, which results in a deeper level of sedation, and this is typically used by anesthesiologists in a more formal setting, as described by Dr. Jacobs. This approach is certainly more comfortable for the patient.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024