Author Topic: Ridiculous amount of scar tissue after Haematoma. Kenalog Question.  (Read 3270 times)

Offline ahnuld

• Posting Member
Hello everybody. Hope everyone is well.

I had unilateral gyno (left side) since I was 19 years old. At 21 years old I had an operation on the NHS but it either grew back or enough gland wasn't taken out.

I finally at age 28 decided to have another surgery with Dr Katarzyna Ostrwska in Poland.

This was in September 2012. I'll say first of all that I was very impressed by the quality, cleanliness and professionalism of the clinic. Both Dr Ostrwska, her husband and mother are very friendly, charismatic and professional. I loved the family feel of the clinic and you get VERY well looked after because you're the only person in the clinic with a private nurse watching over you.

However, pre-surgery, in a moment of absolute madness I told Dr O-Clark to also perform surgery on my "good" side so that I would never have a chance of gyno there either in future.

I'd live to regret this decision massively because unfortunately a week later, after massaging the area a little too hard, I caused a HUGE haematoma. When I tell you my nipple swole up to the size of a tennis ball I'm NOT exagerating!

Was pretty depressed about the whole thing and called Dr O-Clark in the middle of the night from the U.K and emailed her a picture there and then. She told me to go to the hospital immediately and if I left it that it could take months to clear or even become infected.

Well, in typical NHS fashion I got the run around. 2 doctors said they'd drain it but the 3rd doctor said to leave it and it would go within the week. (nonsense) I was sent home.

Anyway, I Googled to see if anyone had cured a haematoma and a woman claimed to have cleared a haematoma using Arnica pills. I bought from Ebay as they were cheap and bought the gel too. Nothing to lose.

I know people on here rag on Arnica calling them "sugar pills" but they literally resolved a HUGE haematoma within days of me taking them. This was after the blood lump hadn't shown any sign of budging for the 2-3 weeks I had it. I'm sold on Arnica needless to say.

Anyway, that issue resolved, I breathed a sigh of relief but it was to be short lived because what I thought was the small remainder of the haematoma actually turned out to be huge scar tissue in it's place.

Obviously I couldn't massage the area at all when the haematoma was there and haematomas themselves cause scarring, especially at that size. The scar I'm holding now through my shirt feels around 2 and a half inches long and about half an inch thick..it's huge.

So I'm left with what looks ironically like gyno on the side of my chest that didn't have one in the first place! (The other side is healing ok, bit of a crater but getting better) Word of advice..if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I've emailed Dr O-Clark and they want to hear from me 1 year on from the surgery. I can't wait that long I'm afraid so I have booked up for Kenalog shots with Dr. Karidis at the end of the month.

My question is - I know it takes 4-6 weeks to fully exert it's effects but can Kenalog results be seen from the first week to around 10 days after the shot? I have an event where I would REALLY like to see some improvement where I will be in a topless situation.

Also does anybody have any feedback on Dr. Karidis' skills with Kenalog shots? I've only heard of one person on here who had it done by Dr. Karidis and he briefly said results were ok but with no real detail. (maybe i'll post this question in other forum)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm not sure if you'll get much improvement in the short time you've described after your injection.  It's not unusual to have some swelling initially after the injection--for a couple of days. But it really takes a bit longer for the scar tissue to regress. 

I don't know anything about the doctor you mentioned.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery