Author Topic: Avoid gym before surgery? Reduce bodyfat %?  (Read 9558 times)

Offline ladiesman69

• Posting Member
Is there an ideal state that the bodies muscles should be in prior to surgery? What I mean is those that workout would find after a chest day their pecs would feel a lot more pumped up for a few days than they would had they been lying in a bed for a week sick. Furthermore, products like creatine that increase water retention in the muscles would make them bigger than they really are.

I know gyno surgery doesn't involve the pectoral muscles, but is it easier for a surgeon if there is no pump whatsoever?

Adding to that, is it easier for a surgeon to perform a gyno operation if the patient has a very low BF %? If that's the case I'll plan to cut as much weight as possible leading into the surgery (in a healthy way... I don't want to go in there in starvation mode).

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
 I worked out till two days to my surgery. The better shape you're in, the better you'll heal. I did chest on Monday/ legs Tuesday/ back and bicepts on Wednsday then kicked back a couple days.. My surgery was on Friday. I think cardio was a big help too. I love to run so I was doing 2x 45 min cardio sessions a day 6 days a week. I stopped 2 days before surgery. A big reason why I worked out was to keep my spirits high and not get anxiety. You can see my results under SURGERY/ EXPERIENCES. Workout and eat healthy "as long as your Doc says so". ;D

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
I asked my surgeon the exact same thing.

He told me to just work out as normal right up until the surgery. I thought if i stopped working out for a month first, my chest would be smaller - the skin contracted more and it might somehow be easier to remove the stuff. He said no it makes no difference.

What makes a difference is body fat he said. It;s just more desirable to remove the stuff from someone who has less body fat.

I have to admit - I have seen some photos over my time at the forum - that look weird because the guy has quite a large amount of fat on them - and then in the post photos their chest is totally flat - and the rest of their upper body is fat and spilling over. They look very unnatural that way.

ANyways keep working out right up until surgery. that way after a month or so - you'll just be that much better at getting back into it.

Think about bodybuilders that get the surgery. They work out right until then and their pecs are larger than my thighs!

so, it's not a problem!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
look weird because the guy has quite a large amount of fat on them - and then in the post photos their chest is totally flat - and the rest of their upper body is fat and spilling over. They look very unnatural that way.

I always encourage my patients to be at their lowest and most stable weight going into surgery -- and to continue to work out up to the actual operation.

However, the above quote also brings something to mind that readers should be aware of.  Properly performed gyne surgery should result in a normal appearing chest for the general build and frame of the patient.  Taking too much tissue out from an overweight patient can result in undue flattening of the chest which is not consistent with the surrounding tissues.  And obviously, not taking out enough will cause consternation on the part of the patient.  We are thus talking about the artistry of the gyne operation:  knowing how much to remove and more important, how much to leave in place.  That is why one should do one's homework and consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline ladiesman69

• Posting Member
look weird because the guy has quite a large amount of fat on them - and then in the post photos their chest is totally flat - and the rest of their upper body is fat and spilling over. They look very unnatural that way.

I always encourage my patients to be at their lowest and most stable weight going into surgery -- and to continue to work out up to the actual operation.

However, the above quote also brings something to mind that readers should be aware of.  Properly performed gyne surgery should result in a normal appearing chest for the general build and frame of the patient.  Taking too much tissue out from an overweight patient can result in undue flattening of the chest which is not consistent with the surrounding tissues.  And obviously, not taking out enough will cause consternation on the part of the patient.  We are thus talking about the artistry of the gyne operation:  knowing how much to remove and more important, how much to leave in place.  That is why one should do one's homework and consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

As someone who is currently working out and "bulking", but plan on being in a single digit bodyfat % in the future, what do you recommend?

Should I try and cut down to that single digit body fat pre-op? I'm by no means fat, just average, if not a bit skinny.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have nothing against working out, eating healthy and being in top shape.  And if possible, I would want all my patients to be at their lowest and most stable weight and in tip top condition.

Unfortunately, in today's world, guys have to work, raise families and perform a million other duties -- and oftentimes they cannot get into the very best shape possible.  I deal mainly with busy guys -- workers, professionals, etc -- who do not have time to spend 3+ hrs in the gym every day.  And I usually get a nice result for these guys who may not have single digit body fat percent.

On the other hand, if you want to be in top shape prior to your surgery, then by all means do so.  The problem is that sometimes one sets a goal for oneself which is realistically unachievable.  Therefore, be smart and be realistic about your goals.

One more thing -- be prepared for your gyne to look somewhat worse because it will remain while the rest of your body loses fat.

Lastly, being at a very low body fat percent does not make my job easier or the potential results any better.

Your decision.

Dr Jacobs

Offline ladiesman69

• Posting Member
That's interesting. I suppose if you're just removing the gland then yeah, BF% wouldn't make a difference.

I might just maintain the weight I'm at then. If being a low BF% won't improve the result then there's no point in cutting.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Offline Herschel51

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024