Author Topic: No need for compression vest  (Read 2147 times)

Offline JustDoIt

• Posting Member
I've had really minor gynecomastia since the age of 13. I am now 21 and visited a plastic surgeon regarding my puffy nipples. He told me that I only required glandular excision without liposuction. I agreed with him on this as the glandular tissue was small and pretty much confined within the area below my areola and I do not really have much fat around my chest. However, he told me that I did'nt have to put on a compression vest post-op. I am a little worried and skeptical because I always thought post-gynecomastia surgery always required the use of a compression vest. Is this a cause for concern?   

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon has his own techniques and approach to treating gynecomastia.  However, if you read further on this forum, you will note that virtually every participating surgeon recommends at least several weeks of post op compression after surgery, no matter what the "size" of the gyne.

A word to the wise.....

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I would agree with Dr. Jacobs, and I would add a brief anecdote.  During our most recent surgical mission to Ecuador in January, I treated a young soldier with a unilateral breast mass, which was presumed to be gynecomastia based on history and exam.  In this instance, I did not have liposuction equipment, and he was quite thin and lean, so I just excised the tissue.  I didn't have a vest for him to wear, but I did wrap him with Ace wraps after surgery and encouraged him to continue that for at least a week.  He was fine at the time we left his town 3 or 4 days later.  Nonetheless, when given the opportunity, I would prefer to use liposuction in conjunction with excision for complete treatment (to get the best contour), and I would still use compression afterwards. 

Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it the best option.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery