Author Topic: Celebrex  (Read 1968 times)

Offline hm4295

• Posting Member
My surgeon gave me 5 days worth of Celebrex to take post-op, with a refill. I don't have any pain now (7 days post-op), but I'm wondering if the anti-inflammatory properties of Celebrex are beneficial enough to the healing process to warrant getting the refill. It's not covered by insurance and costs $70, but I'd happily spend the money if it will encourage healing.

Thanks!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I do not prescribe Celebrex for a number of reasons. But to your specific case if you feel fine a pain medication would not be necessary .As far as beginning an anti inflammatory treatment a week after surgery you will not see much if any benefit.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I use Celebrex in combination with narcotics for other procedures, but I don't use Celebrex in my gynecomastia patients.  Rather, I use Percocet for most, and in most cases, they use it very briefly if at all.  After a week or so, I have no problem with patients using ibuprofen or naproxen, which are both much less expensive than Celebrex.  You should check with your surgeon before using those products, but certainly no need to spend another $70 on Celebrex at this point.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery