Author Topic: 12year old  (Read 1759 times)

Offline gray

• Posting Member
My 12 year old son is showing signs of gynecomastia. My dad has it, and I do as well. His brother shows no signs. I know many kids develop it and then have it resolve on its on. Is this something I should talk to pediatrician about? Is there anything that can be done for someone so young to prevent it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You should definitely take your son to a pediatrician for an evaluation and possible hormonal blood testing.  In my experience, however, most of the time there are no major treatable hormonal abnormalities.  It then becomes a matter of watchful waiting -- give it time for  it to possibly spontaneously subside.  If it is present and unchanged for 2-3 years, then you may have to look for a surgeon to help.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
The answers to your two questions are:
1) yes
2) no

All males have swelling of the breast bud under the areola as they go through puberty,this is a normal finding. Your pediatrician should be very familiar with this and as a general rule no testing is required for minimal swelling.Minimal swelling is something that is felt but is not really visible.This typical finding resolves with time in the overwhelming majority of males.A small minority of patients exhibit continued significant and visible breast development through puberty.In these patients with continued growth there are a number of potential algorithms but the bottom line is additional medical investigation is warranted.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
From a numbers perspective, studies suggest that anywhere from 30 to 70 percent of men develop gynecomastia, and most of those are during puberty.  Of those that develop during puberty, 95 percent of them will resolve within a 3 year period after onset.  The other 5 percent will require surgery.  At age 12, the condition is probably new and it's unlikely that any treatable hormonal issue will be discovered.  Rather, gynecomastia at that age is relatively physiologic and may resolve on its own with some luck.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery