Author Topic: Breast tissue and males  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Claes

Hello, I just read that all males have some breast tissue. Is this true? If it is how much is then "normal"? The reason I ask is because I found out mine is only 10 mm in diameter on one side and 7 mm on the other side. I know this is more than normal but maybe a surgery will only make it look worse and it may not be worth the risk.

Thank you.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
All males have tissue in the breast.There are two types of tissue found in the normal male breast ,glandular and adipose tissue. The glandular tissue extend into the nipple. The issue with gynecomastia is not if an individual has breast tissue nor the width of the glandular component but whether there is excess tissue which result in a visible alteration which negatively impacts the appearance  of the chest wall.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The tissue that I leave behind under the areola after excision of gynecomastia is typically anywhere from 6 - 10 mm in thickness.  Depending on what sort of examination demonstrated that you have 7 mm on one side and 10 mm on the other side, that may be fairly normal, but it really depends on the appearance of the entire chest as to whether you have clinical gynecomastia. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery