Author Topic: Scar tissue and swelling?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Chadly

• Posting Member
Hi Doctors, just had my surgery less than 2 weeks ago. I had quite a bit of bruising and swelling from the surgery as I was expecting. During my 1 week post op appointment I was told to start massaging both sides 3 times a day 5 mins per side. Once I started massaging I noticed a few small pea size bumps of scar tissue on my left side close to my armpit which I'm not worried about. I am a little worried about a bigger ball of scar tissue which is located just below my left nipple area. It is quite big and swollen. I have been massaging it like I have been told to. Will this go down over time or will I need some type of injection to reduce it. I realize it's still very early in the healing process but just a bit worried. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Its preferable for me to comment after reviewing a photo,however its common to have swelling and bruising after surgery. Most commonly there is a slow resolution of the problems without further intervention.Sometimes an injection or series of injections can speed things along.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
At two weeks out, it's not likely that scar is the cause of the lumps you're feeling, but rather more likely to represent a small area of blood collection, fluid collection, or some swelling of the tissue traumatized by the surgery.   These things typically resolve on their own. Lumps near the arm pits are often reactive lymph nodes that are just responding to the surgery as well.  Be patient.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Chadly

• Posting Member
 Thanks for your replies but I just wanted to add a few things to my original post. The larger ball I have had post surgery is below my left nipple not behind it. It's pretty hard when I try to massage it and it hasn't changed much yet in this short time. it's also very warm to the touch in that area with some discomfort. By the way my incisions were made below my armpits not the usual aerola incisions. Dr. Silverman could this be fluid build up or blood build up instead of scar tissue like you mentioned? I'm still less than 2 weeks post op. Thanks again!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Your surgeon will be able to tell by examining you, but from your description, it could be either of those two.

RS

Offline Chadly

• Posting Member
 Thank you Doctors for your comments. I'll let you know what happens after my appointment this Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's nothing to serious and can be resolved.

Offline Chadly

• Posting Member
I went to my appointment yesterday and was told it's scar tissue even though I'm only 2 weeks post op. The PS told me to continue massaging it and it will go down with time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024