Author Topic: Urgent!: need advice  (Read 2386 times)

BrandonPrice31

My surgeon just did revision to depress my incision from the underlying tissues.

I now have a hematoma on both sides and went to see him. He tried removing the blood but he says it needs to liquefy and to come back in three weeks! Is this too long and will I develop scar tissue? Does he know what he's doing?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It all depends on the size of the hematoma -- and management of that hematoma becomes a decision of the surgeon.

If it is small, then one can observe and allow the blood first to clot and then for the clot to liquify -- which takes several weeks.  When the clot becomes liquified, it can be removed with a syringe.

If the hematoma is large, then, at least in my opinion, sometimes it is better to bite the bullet, open the wound, remove the clot and sew it up again.  But again, this is at the discretion of your surgeon.

Yes, it is true, if blood is left for a long time under the skin without removal, it can result in the body forming scar tissue.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

BrandonPrice31

The hematoma is not 'large', small on both sides but significant enough to make my chest (nipples) pop out significantly. My PS took a look and wasn't concerned and tried to extract but said right now it needs to liquefy and to come back in three weeks. He didn't seem concerned and seemed optimistic considering the revision surgery was small (freed up the depressed incision from the underlying tissues)

What do you think? Will I develop scar tissue in three weeks? Will the hematoma be able to taken out fully? Should I be worried?

I had no scar tissue or any hematoma after my gyno surgery and this revision is scaring me.

It all depends on the size of the hematoma -- and management of that hematoma becomes a decision of the surgeon.

If it is small, then one can observe and allow the blood first to clot and then for the clot to liquify -- which takes several weeks.  When the clot becomes liquified, it can be removed with a syringe.

If the hematoma is large, then, at least in my opinion, sometimes it is better to bite the bullet, open the wound, remove the clot and sew it up again.  But again, this is at the discretion of your surgeon.

Yes, it is true, if blood is left for a long time under the skin without removal, it can result in the body forming scar tissue.

Dr Jacobs

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sorry, can't help you further without examining you.  Best to keep the faith with your own surgeon.  Scar tissue doesn't grow in three weeks.

Dr Jacobs

BrandonPrice31

I'm going in tomorrow (1 and half weeks after revision) because my right side is bleeding a small amount through the incision.

I suffered from a small hematoma on both?

The left side is fine, and has reduced significantly in size, but it feels hard - does this mean it's liquified and he can take the blood out or is it clotted still?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In general, if there is a documented hematoma and it is still very firm, then it probably is a solid clot.  One would simply have to wait for it to soften, which would mean your body is dissolving the clot and making it liquid again.  At that time, one could try to remove the fluid with a syringe.

Dr Jacobs

BrandonPrice31

So I went to see my surgeon today - he says my body is absorbing the blood from the two small hematomas (both sides) and he used a needle to get out some blood on the other side. He says my blood is still clotted on both sides (2 weeks since minor revision).

I asked him if I can do chest work outs now and he said yes - do you agree?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Sounds reasonable
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024