Author Topic: At 40 I think it's time for a consult...  (Read 3004 times)

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member
Hi Gentlemen,

I had been here back in 2005 when I weighed about 270 (at 5'11) and for good reason, the feedback I got at the time was, lose weight, soon.  My weight has always been my Achilles heel, I went from an all time high of 270 down to 167 in 2008 in the span of about 3 years, got back up to as high as 220, have been working out with a trainer for the past year and although my weight is at 195 now I'm in much better shape than I was at 167.   I still can grab a fistful of man titty on my left and right side however, and I feel the grape like glands significantly on my left side, but not so bad on my right.  My left side is significantly more unsightly than my right.   My goal by June 21st is to be at 175.   Unfortunately I don't think that's going to help the look of my chest that much, given I was still self-conscious about my chest at 167.   So I think I've found a reputable surgeon in my area and go in for a consult, for once in my life I'd like to take my shirt off and not be stressed about it.  

I'm a no-brainer case right?  Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys can provide, I will do my best to help everybody out as best I can.  

--RTP
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:23:57 AM by RTPUnderPar »

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member
Hi Folks,

So despite my best efforts I could only muster 185 by my target date of today, but I'm still happy with my progress.  Getting miles in at under 8 minutes and am in the best shape of my life, which is sad to say but I'm not done yet.  Unfortunately I allowed myself to get so big that I did damage that only surgery is going to correct I think.  Still holding off on that decision until I get my body fat percentage to 15%. 

I did have a consult with a well reviewed surgeon in the Philadelphia area.  Pricing as follows:

Gyne correction out the door at $5335  (3500 surgery, 1000 facilities, 700 anesthesia, 155 supplies)

Abdominoplasty out the door at $8805 (6250 surgery, 1600 facilities, 800 anesthesia, 155 supplies)

Gyne and Adomino in one surgery:  $12,305 (9750 surgery, 2400 facilities, 155 supplies)

Still decisions to make as I concentrate on my fitness and burning the rest of the fat.  I'm starting to think considering the downtime, pain, scarring, and expense given I'm 40 at this point, the ends may not justify the means... 

Good luck to all you guys and keep your chin up, I've been to the pool a few times and although still uncomfortable I'm not near as uncomfortable as I used to be.  Any feedback you can provide as to if the pricing seems fair (seems reasonable to me) based on your experience, or any other feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member
Man, 460 views?  You guys are like the girls at the beach, no play...  Thanks for the feedback lol  :-\

hammer

Well, it's nice that your happy! In my book it's a lot of money to spend on trying to look good but that comes down to personal choice.

I'm gray and older with grandchildren and one day you will be to hopefully and when you look back at this you may look at it much different then you do today. I've lost a lot in my life, a son at the age of 6 the ability to walk well and even continue to work at the age of 40 so I do have a huge difference in priorities then most people.

Good luck in the future!

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member
Thanks Hammer,

I appreciate it!  I'm very sorry for your loss, your comment really puts a lot of things in perspective for me.  Aside from a couple of cheating ex wives (that of course I tie to my less than desirable physique) and a poor body image, I really don't have anything to complain about.  It really does boil down to vanity doesn't it.  If I went through with the surgery I would probably gain significant weight back due to inactivity during the recovery.   I think I'm going to keep focusing on the fitness and see how it plays out. 

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope things look up and you have good luck in the future also!

hammer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your cheating wives may not have had nothing to do with the looks of your body, as a good person would care less what is on the outside because it is what is in your heart and mind that make you the man that you are!

I've had breast my entire life, I served in the military 11 years 4 Navy 7 Army reserves, fathered 5, 4 still living, 3 grand kids, still married to the best woman I've ever known for 27 years the mother of the last 2 children both daughters.

I owned my own construction company until becoming disabled at the age of 40, this was done while having breast around B-C cups. In 94-95 I lost my testicles after a vasectomy and now at 56 I was fitted professionally for a bra size 46H. I went at the recommendation of my primary care doctor at the VA hospital.

I don't get the surgery because I see no priority need. I've had both knees replaced with prosthetics, two back surgeries fusing my back one lasting 9 hours, the other fusing the SI joint and still live with chronic pain and a total of about 7 or 8 surgeries now.

I still don't feel any less a man then I did when I was a diver in the Navy, nor should you ever feel that your body keeps you from a decent relationship! If it isn't meant to be, it isn't the right one yet, but there is someone out there for you and all you need to do is be you.

I have a very strong faith, and that has got me through everything, and it  will continue to carry me when I'm to weak to carry myself, so I wish for you find that same faith to help carry you as well!

God bless,

Bob

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Having been 270 lbs at one point, you have stretched out your skin.  Fortunately, there is less stretched out skin on your chest than on your abdomen.  You should do well with routine gyne surgery (hopefully performed by a gyne expert).  Your abdomen does appear to need some skin tightening, which comes with a tummy tuck.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline RTPUnderPar

• Posting Member
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your service and kind words my friend, I greatly appreciate it.  Life is what you make of I've learned, and I'm glad to see successfully overcome many obstacles gyne included, to enjoy a full and happy life in the face of adversity. 

Dr. Jacobs, I really appreciate your feedback.  I sent email to your info alias and hope to speak with you soon. 

hammer

Good luck to you my friend, I pray that you find the love of your life and live a full and happy one!

God bless!

Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024