Author Topic: Does the angle of attack matter for liposuction?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline GlandMan

• Posting Member
I had a consultation with a local PS today and he recommended a lipo+excision combo. He mentioned that the scars from lipo would be above my breasts, right next to my armpits on both sides. In all the videos I've seen on youtube the doctors always seem to insert the cannula beneath the breasts.

Does it really matter from which angle the cannula is being introduced?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have tried many areas for the incision and found that the lateral chest, just down from the armpit, works best for me.  This is purely from an ergonomic perspective. 

If your surgeon feel better about doing it from the armpit, then fine -- just let home show you dozens of before and after photos which show decent results when using that particular incision.

What counts is the final result -- not the incision through which the surgery was performed.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I use a small stab wound incision near the armpit for my liposuction, along with a peri-areolar incision along the edge of the areola to do the excision.  Liposuction for me as a right-handed surgeon is easier on the left side, excision is easier on the right side.  These side differences shouldn't lead to asymmetric results, so as Dr. Jacobs has suggested--look at lots of pre- and post-op photos, and if the outcomes look good, you should be in good hands.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I use a minimal stab wound on the edge of the pectoralis origin in a skin crease by the armpit. The incisions below the nipple and lateral to the nipple in my experience are dramatically more visible.I do use an incision for direct excision at the base of the areola.

So in summary you now have three VERY experienced surgeons telling you virtually the same thing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:28:31 PM by DrPensler »
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024