Author Topic: Tingling 8 months post-op  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Sven

• Posting Member
Hey all,

I am 26 years old and I had gynecomastia surgery using liposuction and peri-areolar incision on March 19,2014.  I work out regularly and would say I have rather taught skin elasticity, so that may be a factor in what I perceive as a slower-than-expected healing process.  It has been almost 8 months and I am overall happy with the result, but have three questions about my current experience that I thought a doc might be able to answer.

1)  Not constantly, but on a regular basis, I will have tingling under my nipples.  Not exclusively at the scar site, but my nipples in general, with a sharper tingling (not painful, but sometimes itchy) directly at the incisions.  I have read that these sensations are normal during the healing process, but I was wondering what a "normal" range would be for how long this tends to last.

2) At this point in the healing process my scars are slowly fading to skin tone.  However, they are still slightly raised (I don't want to say hypertrophic, just slightly raised).  To the eye, no one would notice they are slightly raised, but to the touch it is very evident.  Do these scars normally fade to a point where they are not so obvious to the touch?  What might be a reasonable expectation for a healing timeline?

3) I am overall happy with my result - I have a very "normal" looking chest, but I can tell that the left side is VERY slightly larger than the right (either he removed less gland or more scar tissue developed - I believe he removed less gland).  My girlfriend teased me for asking her about this, saying I was being very particular and she would never have noticed (however she did agree that one was slightly larger when she was directed to compare the two).  I really don't think anyone would notice this except me, so I doubt I will talk to my doctor about a revision again.  But, I am wondering what the revision process normally looks like?  Does it generally produce more apparent scars/do they normally make an incision through the pre-existing scar? My doctor reassured me that my goal was a normal chest, and that's what I've got now...and that a revision just runs the risk of making it more apparent that a surgery has taken place.  Do you agree?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.  I appreciate any answers.

Thanks,

Sven

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
It sounds as though you are doing well.The partial and inconsistent improvement in sensation is typically what I see in my patients. the scars continue to mature in some cases for over a year. You have a Scandinavian name so I would predict a slower than average scar maturation. As far as the asymmetry it depends on what you were like prior to surgery and what was done at surgery.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024