Author Topic: How much can muscle-gain camouflage bad surgery results  (Read 2379 times)

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member

Just wondering if a surgeon removes too much breast tissue in an area, can muscle mass build that part of the chest up to make it look better? Like I've seen bad surgery where too much was removed from the lower part of the chest. There are exercises that target the lower part of the chest, just wondering if it could salvage anything.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Muscle gain is useful in the postoperative period.Muscle gain is useful not only in cases of over resection but in most cases. The skin of the chest is like a sock and a slightly bigger foot will have a better fit after taking out some of the stretch of the sock ,the same is true for the chest skin and muscle.. The specific answer to your question is it depends both on the degree of skin laxity and the amount of muscle gain.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It depends on how the skin has healed and what kind of irregularities there are. It probably can't hurt or make it worse though. So go for it.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
Oh I'm still only 9 weeks post surgery so I do not count on any deformities yet :) I'm currently struggling with scar tissue on my nipples.

I must say that I have not realised how I lost pretty much ALL the muscle mass on my chest since the surgery. I mean I couldn't use my chest at all for 3 to 4 weeks and didn't workout at all in the first 6 weeks.

Muscle memory is quickly making me regain the muscles and I am impressed so far, I think it is going to improve my final results.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I restrict chest training for four weeks post-op, which, in the grand scheme of muscle building is a very short period of time.  Typically, there are minimal losses in that period of time, and much of what seems to be "muscle loss" is actually the result of overall tissue loss resulting from removal of the gynecomastia and surrounding fat.  As swelling resolves and chest exercises are resumed, the muscle plumps back up pretty quickly, and the added detail (in the absence of overlying fat) typically looks much better--and fuller--than prior to surgery.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024