Author Topic: What kind of surgery do i need?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Iamnotannumber

• Posting Member
Hi, 
I'm hoping for some advice.
I was very overweight as a child/teenager. I have managed to lose the weight but I've been left with a flabby chest, excess skin & huge nipples. What kind of procedure do I need & what kind of result can I expect. I had surgery in 1994 on the NHS in 1994 with unsatisfactory results. This has haunted me my whole adult life & really need to get it sorted out. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank You. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is quite common for breasts to remain after significant weight loss.  You are also dealing with the expected lax skin from having been overweight.  

What to do? Get to your best and most stable weight.  Then, consider living  with your situation -- it is not the end of the world. Or, consult with a gyne surgery expert in your area for a surgical opinion or consider traveling for such expertise.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Iamnotannumber

• Posting Member
Thank you for your post Dr. It is much appreciated. I have decided that I will have surgery to correct the issue. It is affecting me mentally & having a big impact on my life. I am unsure whether to have the skin removed via the donut procedure as I am unhappy with the size of my nipples & the sagging skin. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You should get several opinions from various surgeons.  Remember, a donut procedure will leave a scar completely around the edge of the areola, and, as part of the procedure, the surgeon may need to leave some tissue underneath in order to provide blood to the nipple.  This may result in a less than satisfactory removal of the excess chest tissues.

Another method is to have lipo and possible direct excision of the excess tissue beneath the areola.  The skin will oftentimes tighten considerably and the areolar diameter will undoubtedly shrink to some extent.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Iamnotannumber

• Posting Member
Thanks for your opinion Dr Jacob's. 

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
While you do not have the best skin elasticity you certainly do not have terrible skin elasticity. What this means is that the results are more unpredictable, it does not mean you will certainly require a large skin excision. The entire discussion with respect to your situation is lengthy as was implied.The key issue is a good physical examination by a surgeon experienced with gynecomastia who can then create a plan that has the optimal possibility for success.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Iamnotannumber

• Posting Member
Thanks all for your useful advice, it's much appreciated. I have an appointment in April with a surgeon so hopefully I'll be able to rid myself of this. 

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
it actually looks like your breasts and skin issues are significantly different from each other. it also depends on your final goals with respect to "tightness" vs scars. On your left, saggier, side I would strongly recommend a complete mastectomy resection and nipple graft technique (leaving you with a single scar along the IMF as well as around the areola). On your right side you might get by with just a peri-areolar approach however there are always additional issues with residual asymmetry when you don't do the same procedure on both sides. Of course all of this is subject to change after a thorough exam. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Iamnotannumber

• Posting Member
I thought i would put an update on here.
I have now seen a couple of surgeons. Both of the surgeons have the same opinion that in my case a conservative approach is best. They have said initially i need lipo & gland removal and hopefully the skin will tighten sufficiently to give a satisfactory outcome. 
After 9 months if the result is not satisfactory then i will need to consider a revision & have the skin removed. This will be included in the cost. 
Considering now whether to go ahead. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Looking at the photos, I think that liposuction and gland removal will do much toward improving the appearance.  It's possible that you'll need a peri-areolar skin resection as well, and this can be safely done under local anesthesia if you need it after nine months to a year.  Peri-areolar skin removal may be adequate, rather than having to add a large incision along the lower chest, and this would also address your concern over areolar diameter.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Iamnotannumber

• Posting Member
Thanks for your input Doc.
Both of the surgeons I've seen have said the same that it may possibly correct itself. I live in hope. 
Having one more consultation before I make my final decision. 

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I think you will need a peri areolar skin reduction together with correction of the gynecomastia.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024