Author Topic: Need a little advice. (Video included)  (Read 4040 times)

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
I would first like to express that I am very anxious about sharing this, as i'm sure most people are. Attached is a video (link found at the end of the post)

For the sake of accessibility, I will convert the units of all figures used.

Over a year ago, around November 2014, I weighed 115 kilos (250 pounds or 18 stone). Since that time I have lost 45 kilos (100 pounds or 7 stone).

Through a combination of diet and exercise, I now weigh 70 kilos (154 pounds or 11 stone). My height is 177cm (5ft8 or 70 inches), and I am now 19 years old. This brings my BMI to about 23.

During the weight loss, it has become evident that I now have gynecomastia. Through my efforts of attempting to lose more weight, under the notion it was just stubborn fat tissue, I have come to realise what I have is glandular.

After a few months of debating with myself over what I should do, I went to see my GP. He referred me to the local hospitals breast clinic to understand whether there was an underlying cause to such condition. At the breast clinic, I had an ultrasound where it was confirmed that I had 'severe glandular gynecomastia'. In brief, the doctor noted that my chest had very little actual fat, and that any attempts at losing more weight would not work. He stated that the gynecomastia may have been brought on by puberty or being previously obese, which is probably more likely. He concluded that because I am still young, the gland may shrink slowly.

I left the clinic, and still unconvinced, I contacted my local GP and requested a blood test. The blood test revealed that all my hormones were normal, apart from 'lactin' which was slightly above normal for my age at 319 (unsure of units, he told me that under 300 was the normal range). I was told to schedule another blood test in a few weeks in order to see if this number fluctuates, and if it remained constant, he would refer me back to the breast clinic.

I currently live in the UK, and this is currently being provided by the NHS. After reading some material about gynecomastias surgery and it's relationship with the NHS, I am doubtful that I would be offered it under the NHS - and if so, I am even more doubtful whether I should take it.

Now my story takes a more morbid turn. I have been very depressed with my issue for quite some time. The Summer is upcoming, and then I am off to university. This poses many different issues for me personally, which i'm sure you are able to empathise with.

I come asking a few questions:

1) Should I lose more weight and build muscle?
The attached video shows that with my pronounced gynecomastia, my belly is seriously abnormal. This is another serious issue for me. Of course some 'belly-flap' is normal after such extreme weight loss, but I am still concerned - in a similar way to the gynecomastia - that is will affect my quality of life at university and thereafter. Looking at the video, would you say that this is severe? Would it be helped with further weight loss and ab work? I'm unsure.

2) How bad might scarring be with surgery?
I understand that my gynecomastia is quite severe, and so I am quite reluctant to undergo surgery with the results being heavily compromised by my scarring as a result of excess skin. After the weight loss, my skin around my chest has become quite elastic (and in some parts, showing signs of sag). Will this be another issue I am going to have to contemplate?

3) Am I being too critical?
In some circumstances, one is their own best judge. I have seen many people expressing the opinion that one's self should make the decision whether or not they should have surgery based on their feeling toward their condition. I do not share the same opinion.
For someone who is ultra-crtical of themselves, I need an opinion regarding my opinion (if that makes sense). Am I being too critical regarding the gynecomastia? Am I being too critical regarding my belly?

I understand that I can still become more fit. I will try do this over the Summer. Apart from that, thank-you for listening and here is the video: https://vid.me/RXVw

Offline Jake46

• Posting Member
Your belly looks fine, least of your worries! I'm sure with more work on your abs you could tighten your stomach up loads, your chest is going to have scarring but who cares ?! If you're concerned on what people will think maybe you could get a tattoo to cover the scars ? Keep the good work up bro !

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
When the skin has been stretched beyond its elastic limits, the skin must be reduced to restore a natural appearance. 
Congratulation on your significant weight loss, now it is time to see a good cosmetic surgeon about removing some of that excess skin. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I am still contemplating my options. Surgery, for most, is a last resort: I believe this applies to me.

Living my life with a compression vest on, though, is also not ideal...

Offline chifer

• Posting Member
I am still contemplating my options. Surgery, for most, is a last resort: I believe this applies to me.

Living my life with a compression vest on, though, is also not ideal...

I can second that; a compression vest is helpful for a while, but they aren't perfect (as I also wrote in the bottom part of this post). If your gynecomastia doesn't reduce, then the surgery is something you can really consider. I have held it off for years, and now wonder what on earth I was thinking! The surgery is doable, the recovery is fast, and the results are mostly great. In hindsight, it would have been so much better to do it earlier in my case. So I can encourage you to do it! 

Offline Sjd1993

• Posting Member
Congrats on the weight loss man!! Impressive. My gyno isn't as severe but I went through a similar process with the GP and clinic. Surgery would definitely be the way to go. Some faded scaring would be better than the gyno. Surgery in the UK is expensive but if you can afford it run with it I'm heading to Poland for surgery in november, happy to PM you some updated if it's helpful.

Offline GynoThrowaway

• Posting Member
Congrats on the weight loss man!! Impressive. My gyno isn't as severe but I went through a similar process with the GP and clinic. Surgery would definitely be the way to go. Some faded scaring would be better than the gyno. Surgery in the UK is expensive but if you can afford it run with it I'm heading to Poland for surgery in november, happy to PM you some updated if it's helpful.

Nice one man! Cheers. Keep me updated.

How was the process with your GP?

Offline colin178

Well done with the weight loss. I wouldn't worry about the stomach it looks normal to me. I was referred to hospital after seeing my GPS but they could only offer me lypo which wouldnt have done jack shit to the glandular tissue. I would consider private surgery if you can afford it. I have tried compression vests but find them too uncomfortable. I find wearing polo or casual shirts with two front pockets conceals it enough. Keep your chin up mate.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024