Author Topic: Gyno surgery financing  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Upstatenygyno

Hi,
I'm an 18 year old who has what I belive to be type 1 gyno. It first appeared when I was about twelve years old after a somewhat significant weightloss (30 pounds). At the time I thought that working out would make it go away, but six years later and it's now apparent that there is glandular tissue. About a year ago I went to my pediatrician to get a doctors opinion and he told me it would go away soon, but there is no change and I've read many stories of doctors saying this to patients and being wrong. So I have decided to get a surgeons opinion and plan on setting up a consultation. My biggest worry is financing because I would not have 5000 to 8000 dollars upfront to pay. I want to get the surgery sooner than later, so I will be getting a job to save up. So should I hold off on the consultation and save up money first (if so how much) or should I go ahead and set up an appointment to get a price qoute/see if there are finance assistance programs/loans I could qualify for.
Thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
First, welcome to the forum.  You are among understanding and sympathetic brethren.  

You are correct -- your gyne will not spontaneously disappear if you have had it since age 12.  Unfortunately, insurance very rarely covers this surgery -- so it will be up to you to save and pay for it.

My office works through Care Credit, which provides loans for medical procedures.  There are many payment options available -- my office can help to explain some of them to you. The beauty of Care Credit is that you can apply online to see if you would qualify for a loan.  Realistically speaking, at age 18 you probably don't have much credit and you will have to rely on your parents being willing to co-sign the loan with you.

Best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I would second what Dr. Jacobs said. I work with Care Credit and they have a website where you can get a better idea of the issues involved.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Welcome to Gynecomastia.org - It's great you found this site so you can communicate about your situation. Based on the history you provided, it is unlikely your gyne will go away. Fortunately, it sounds like you have a mild case, which means having your surgery under local anesthesia could be a viable option. This will save on the overall cost of your surgery.
I don't think it's unreasonable for you to begin the consultation process. This way you will know for sure what type of gyne you have,  as well as what the surgery will entail, and how much it will cost. From here, you will have the information you need to make an informed decision. 
I would urge you to seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. The doctor should have a large gallery for before and after photos for you to view. This will help you gauge their experience. In addition, I recommend interviewing more than one surgeon. 
Most plastic surgeons do offer financing options as mentioned in other response. My practice offers Care Credit, Alphaeon, and Prosper. If you haven't established a credit history, financing may not be an option without a co-signer.  I also allow patients to send in money as they have it available. Once the balance is paid, surgery can take place. 
Best of luck! Dr. Cruise 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'll join the other surgeons in welcoming you to the forum.  As noted, gynecomastia that develops during puberty will typically resolve in 95% of individuals within a three-year period.  If it doesn't go away at that point, it will require surgery to correct.  As for financing options, we also offer Care Credit, but you'd likely need a co-signer.  That said, it's worth initiating the consultation process, so that when you're at a point that you can proceed, you'll know what you expenses look like, and you can explore the financing options well ahead of time. 
Good luck!
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery