Author Topic: Need advice about doctor  (Read 1525 times)

Offline windtalker

Hi dear dr,
I consulted a dr for gynecomastia surgery and he said he can't show any before and after pics due to confidential reason, then he says its childish to ask how many surgeries he has done. Some people regard him as good surgeon but showing before and after pics without face should be fine? What should i do i would like to know from a doctor perspective that is it important for me to see doctor results or i can just trust him and go ahead with surgery?

Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sharing patient photos where the face is covered and there are few or no identifying features (tattoos, etc.) is acceptable and encouraged for the purpose of patient education and providing informed consent. It is completely within your right to ask how many procedure a surgeon does, and while he or she may not be able to tell you the exact number, they should be able to say if they do one a year, ten a year or a hundred a year.  Beware of a surgeon who is put off by your questions!  You're not there to challenge the expertise of your surgeon--you're there to establish the level of expertise and your level of comfort.  The surgeon should do all he or she can do to provide you with information and a level of confidence in going forward. 

Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It is common place to be able to show before and after photos. Getting patients to give permission is sometimes challenging but we all have to do it. If there are not any photos that can be shown, I would consider this a red flag that the surgeon just doesn't have much experience for this procedure. If your condition is mild it might not make much difference. if he/she becomes defensive than I would consider this more of a red flag. If he/she has photos of other procedures than I would consider this more of a red flag.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Strongly agree with Drs Silverman and Schuster.

Most gyne pre/post photos do not show a face and as along as there are no identifying tattoos or other marks/scars, etc, then it is perfectly fine for a surgeon to offer the photos to demonstrate his expertise.

Gyne surgery is difficult even for most plastic surgeons.  That is why it is important to see not one but several (at a minimum) sets of pre/post op photos from any proposed surgeon. 

That is why we on this forum constantly recommend that you seek a board certified plastic surgeon who has considerable additional expertise in gynecomastia surgery.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs 
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I routinely utilize multiple  pre and post operative photos to illustrate to potential patients typical results. As a general rule ANY QUESTION YOU THINK IS IMPORTANT IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD ASK A SURGEON AND BE ENTITLED TO A RESPECTFUL ANSWER. In addition any patient should always ask a prospective surgeon about his/her experience regarding the specific procedure the patient will need.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I routinely show new patients before and after photos of my gynecomastia patients.  In fact, many of my new patients come to see me because they saw my patient photos online.  The use of photos is a powerful way to educate potential patients about the surgery they are considering.  I also don't mind if a patient asked how many cases I have performed.  I agree with Dr. Silverman - beware the surgeon who won't share information with you.
I had a partner years ago who refused to show before and after photos of his patients.  But he was a lawyer as well, and he seemed to think differently that a lot of us on many issues.
Hope this helps-
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024