Author Topic: Can i remove fluid build up on my own? or get family doc to?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline hank

• Posting Member
Iv got fluid build up behind both nipples.. one more than the other.. im worried that this will cause deformity with the healing process.. my next app is at week 5 with my plastic surgeon which is hours away from where i live .. can i have my family doctor remove the fluid for me seeing that im only at week 2? or should i wait for my PS at week 5? just dont want to ruin my results

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
There are often small bumps in the road during recovery. The first thing to do if you feel there may be a complication is to inform your surgeon.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline hank

• Posting Member
i did notify my surgeon but im hours away and i heard that when you drain the fluid it usually comes back but in smaller amounts.. so the drive their and back is hard to do especially taking the time off work to do so. follow up app isn't for 3 more weeks im just worried that during that time frame the fluid will cause long term problems..just wondering if getting my local doctor to drain in the meantime? what do you think?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
The issue is you should be asking your surgeon what to do and go from there.  It just isn't in your best interest for me to tell you what I would typically do if you were close to my office. Your surgeon is correct that often (50%) of the time after aspiration there is a need for additional aspirations. Also in some cases it is important to aspirate while in other cases it is just fine to allow the body to absorb what is present.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I presume by now, you've had further management of your problem, and I hope that it's resolved.  Ideally, your surgeon should manage this problem, and while the inconvenience is obvious, the development of a persistent fluid collection would be more troublesome, possibly requiring surgery to correct.  Because patients often travel for their gynecomastia treatment, many end up in your situation, sometimes further than a few hours drive.  The best approach is still to start with your surgeon, and perhaps he knows someone nearer to you who can help, especially if you need more than one aspiration.  Non-surgeons are often not familiar with management of this sort of problem, so family doctors can be hit or miss with this sort of thing. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024