Author Topic: Crater/indent 6 weeks post op /w picture  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Bye_gyne

Hi there, first just wanted to say thank you to the doctors for taking the time to answer questions, it's amazing and truly appreciated.

So, as per the title I had my surgery 6 weeks ago (FINALLY) with a reputable board certified PS after 10+ years of trying various ways to make my chest look acceptable. I'm athletic and have minimal bf so only the gland was excised.

At my follow up appointment 2 weeks ago, I had a couple of concerns. One, my puffy right nipple that had scar tissue the size of a golf ball underneath (even my PS was impressed by how much I had) and two, an indent in my left pec.

My PS was unfazed by either and directed me to continue my regular chest workout routine and vigorous massage to help speed up the breakdown of scar tissue, reassuring me everything should even out beautifully.

Now, the scar tissue is shrinking at an incredible rate, I'm quite pleased with that, but the indent almost seems to be getting worse. It's more narrow now, but slightly more pronounced (see picture). What's worse is that it's happening on the other side too, in the exact same spot. The skin in the area feels a little tight and I feel a stretch when moving my arms. Swelling seems to have subsided on my indented side but I do still have quite a bit of scar tissue along the bottom edge of my pec.

I realize that during the healing process the scars mature and everything needs time to settle, but from what I've read from this site and various other sources, when it comes to these craters, what you see is what you get.

So my question is:
Am I a lost cause or what? Haha. I love my new chest otherwise, but I'm not willing to substitute my old more natural looking chest for one with an obvious deformity. I'd hate to have to go through a revision.

Thanks again!

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I see the shallow indent. it's too early to do any revision. Hopefully your surgeon's instructions will work out well. Hang in there.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Bye_gyne

Quote from: Dr. Dr. Schuster link=topic=32605.msg207713#msg207713 date=1496791693
I see the shallow indent. it's too early to do any revision. Hopefully your surgeon's instructions will work out well. Hang in there.
Thank you for the reply doctor! I wouldn't consider a revision for at least another half a year. But do you believe there's a chance it will even out?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, there seems to be a mild indentation -- but it is much, much too early in the healing process to draw any conclusions.  There may be swelling in the surrounding tissues which has to resolve.  Be patient and be in touch with your surgeon.  

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Bye_gyne

Thank you, I'll continue to wait it out ;)

Offline Bye_gyne

Just wanted to write a follow up post in case others are experiencing what I detailed in the OP.

It's just over a week and a half later and the crater is much better (see pic).

A couple of days after I posted, despite my chest feeling like it was all healed up, it began developing hard lumps (scar tissue again, I imagine). Anyway, I massaged regularly and as the lumps softened and broke down my crater became less noticeable. I have no idea if these two things are connected, I'm not a doctor. It's not perfect, but it's getting there. I guess the best advice to give is to just chill out and wait. :P

Now if my other side that was a mess and then normal and now swollen and weird again could just come around. ;)

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Looks like your on the right track. Congrats.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024