Author Topic: Waking up during surgery?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Stevew87

• Bronze Member
I saw a post on this forum about a guy who woke up for a few seconds multiple times during his operation. I then googled this and found cases where people had been awake the entire operation and the painkiller also didn't work but the paralytic part did so it was agony. I know I'm probably over thinking things. But for those who have had this issue did they just not have people motoring the brain wave (i think that is the one) machines? 

Am i better of getting a local anesthetic so if the pain killer doesn't work I can actually tell them? I would hate to be awake and watching the operation though of which could be an hour long+. The place I'm getting my OP told me a while ago that they have all the equipment and an anesthetist on stanby etc. 

I would hate to come out of an operation with a new issue of PTSD. I did have an operation about 2 years ago without issues (I definitely don't recall waking up at all).

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
The surgery can be routinely performed in at least 80% of the time under an IV sedation / twilight. This elimminates the need for paralysis.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024