Author Topic: negligence after gunecomastia surgery  (Read 933 times)

Offline ddhh

• Posting Member
I am  about 2.5 months post surgery. During all time before the doctor didn't tell me about the risks of the surgery.
I developed a scar tissue in my left nipple. In that case, can I sue him for negligence?
Before I didn't had a puffy nipple but now it is huge (!) all nipple is with the scar tissue and have a big dent in that breast

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If you developed scar tissue in your left nipple, then YOU developed it as you healed; not your surgeon.  Don't be so fast to blame your surgeon.  Talk with him or her about your concerns.  And it takes a good 3 months or more before you will see your final result.  Revision surgery is often not performed before 6 months postop.
Sit down with your surgeon and discuss the options that are available here.  Your surgeon will want you to have a good result.  
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I can't address how your surgeon prepared you for surgery without knowing his routine and how he discusses the risks of surgery, but most surgeons in the US do this with meticulous attention to be sure that patients understand those risks and consent to proceed in spite of them. Scarring is a known risk of surgery, and as surgeons, we can't control how your body chooses to heal.  We can do the surgery using techniques that are less likely to cause significant scarring, and again, I can't comment since I don't know who did your surgery.  
That said, you should meet with your surgeon now to discuss your concern, as there are options to manage thickening under the areola (Kenalog or other corticosteroid injections can reduce the thick scars in that area).  This is something that I do routinely in patients, perhaps as many as 5-8% of patients, where this is needed. I consider this as early as 2 to 3 months post-op, so your timing is reasonable, presuming your surgeon is comfortable with this option.  
Good luck.
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery