Author Topic: Need an answer quick - surgery scheduled for Dec. 26 - having doubts  (Read 3712 times)

Offline KuscoBusco

• Posting Member
Hey guys - new here - great forum to get information and read other people's stories. TIA for everyone who has the courage to post and share their own stories - it's really helped me personally.

I have my own issue with my apparent gyno. The doc said I have a minor case (see attached photos). In those photos, my nips are just a little hard - try and picture them a bit softer and more puffy. Sitting down they really point out.

I have my surgery scheduled with Lebowitz in NY and want to get your thoughts/opinions on some things. I need some quick responses because I'm scheduled for this coming Tuesday.

1) I'm still considering cancelling the surgery. Do you think from looking at the pictures that I would really benefit from getting just a gland removal? Lebowitz put me down for bilateral gland excision with NO liposuction.

2) This is something that has bothered me my entire life. I'm 23 now and paying for this out of my own pocket. I love working out, and have fluctuated weights and figures ever since I was 17 with no real satisfaction coming from different body types. I've been thin, muscular, bulky - you name it - I'm just now realizing I was probably never satisfied because my gyno was always there and threw everything off. Do you think it's wrong of me to finally have hope in that once the surgery gets done and I lose a few pounds I'll finally be happy with my body? I've seen my body at all different weights and sizes and I think once I get the surgery done and get down to around 170 (180 now) I'll finally look good in my own eye.

3) I'm a healthy guy and have never dealt with any medical problems (knock on wood). I'm trying to minimize the possibility of a bad surgery by choosing Lebowitz - he's very respected by the gyno community from what I understand - look him up if you want. Can someone tell me the honest chances of something going wrong if I really do my part in taking care of all things necessary post-op? I'm extremely anal with stuff like this and realize that I have a part and a responsibility for good results.

4) My parents suggested that I seek psychiatric help because they think it's a sort of depression/low self-esteem that an "outside in" approach like gyno surgery will not cure. In other words, beauty comes from the inside out and not the other way around (looking good on the outside will not transfer to me feeling good on the inside - I have to change the inside first). Do you think it's dumb to tell them that I'd like to get the surgery before I seek help mentally? Would it be better to postpone the surgery and know for sure that I want it after I've gone through possible medication for anxiety/depression? I've also considered that I may have a bit of body dysmorphia but it's not bad - I just see things the way they are with myself and my gyno. Things like surgery for gyno are solutions for me.

5) In your honest opinion, should I get this surgery? Will I benefit from it? My hopes are that once the surgery is done I'll have a fresh mindset and a new motivation to pursue a body I'll finally be able to acheive and be happy with. Fitness is a huge priority and a huge part of my life. I'd be stoked to have this done and hit the gym to see what I look like all cut up and in healthy shape - it gets me going just thinking about it!

Any advice/help is appreciated - thanks again for everything thus far and please do not hesitate to be brutally honest here! I'm trying to make a decision by 4pm tomorrow so I can get my money back if need be.

- KB

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I am not familiar with that doctor, so I looked him up.  His self description is filled with superlatives.  He obviously has a high opinion of himself.  Even going so far as to call himself the Michaelangelo of Cosmetic Surgery.  There are two words that I looked for in his description that I never found, those words are: "Board Certified".
He does not claim to be Board Certified in anything.  You may be sure that if he was Board Certified,  those words would be proudly displayed.
Lacking any such certification, I think your last minute trepidation is well founded.  Wait and get another opinion.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Cristalis

• Silver Member
Well what have you decided and if you have gone through the surgery how it went? How are you now?

steven618

agreeing with paw paw, the guys ego seems apparent and where i grew up they always said, never trust a man who has to boast of his abilities cause if he has to boast he probably is lying as truth speaks on its own accords, not from the mouth of who achieved them. I think your chest looks fine honestly, maybe sitting down laying on side or bent over the tissue would be on more display but on its own in the pics i think you look pretty masculine in the chest with no real display of gyne. I'd save the money, cancel the appointment and do more research on others if you did go forward cause this guy doesn't seem like one i'd like to give 5-7k to

Offline Cristalis

• Silver Member
5-7K? Nah, Dr. Lebowitz charges 12K, just check out his video about the prices : https://youtu.be/YCNNDUJLnm4

steven618

I could never justify 12 grand for an insecurity. I'm only a b cup and even if I had d cups I couldn't. That's a new car lol I do not like my breasts and hate every time I feel them grow or shirts getting more pointed out and stuff but 12k sheesh

hammer

I could never justify 12 grand for an insecurity. I'm only a b cup and even if I had d cups I couldn't. That's a new car lol I do not like my breasts and hate every time I feel them grow or shirts getting more pointed out and stuff but 12k sheesh

12k a new car? That's only a down payment on the truck I drive to pull my camper! 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado crew cab with an 8 foot bed that never needs to be made! So hell no I'll never get surgery, I would rather have my truck and camper, trike, ATV, guns, boat, welders, wood working tools and all my other man toys! No, I could never justify it for any "unnecessary" surgery either!

Offline SmokeyNYY

• Bronze Member

my surgery cost 12k but I would have gladly paid double even triple that for the peace of mind it gave me. But I was probably a much worse case than you.

hammer

my surgery cost 12k but I would have gladly paid double even triple that for the peace of mind it gave me. But I was probably a much worse case than you.

I'll bet you are NO where near as bad as I am! And I would pay anything for unnecessary surgery, as I'm going for my 9th necessary surgery in a couple weeks.  This is my 4th back surgery.  As for my gynecomastia, I fill an H cup bra! Did your gynecomastia case make mine look minor or worse? BTW, I've never let it get in the way, but I turn 60 today, I grew up in a different time.

Offline SmokeyNYY

• Bronze Member

I'll bet you are NO where near as bad as I am! And I would pay anything for unnecessary surgery, as I'm going for my 9th necessary surgery in a couple weeks.  This is my 4th back surgery.  As for my gynecomastia, I fill an H cup bra! Did your gynecomastia case make mine look minor or worse? BTW, I've never let it get in the way, but I turn 60 today, I grew up in a different time.

I was responding to Steven. I am aware your case is extreme! The reason I would easily pay double, triple 12k is like I said the peace of mind it gives me in addition to a boost in self esteem which boils over to multiple other areas of my life. It is a much different time. My father has it as well and never got surgery and never felt the need to get surgery. But for me it kept me from enjoying parts of life that should be enjoyable. I also am perfectly healthy so if I needed other surgeries I obviously would have put that in the back burner.

hammer

I was responding to Steven. I am aware your case is extreme! The reason I would easily pay double, triple 12k is like I said the peace of mind it gives me in addition to a boost in self esteem which boils over to multiple other areas of my life. It is a much different time. My father has it as well and never got surgery and never felt the need to get surgery. But for me it kept me from enjoying parts of life that should be enjoyable. I also am perfectly healthy so if I needed other surgeries I obviously would have put that in the back burner.

Yes Smokey it has a lot to do with priorities! And they do change not only with the times but with age as well!

On another note, I hope you can get those scares cleared or faded some from your surgery.

Good luck

Offline KuscoBusco

• Posting Member
Well what have you decided and if you have gone through the surgery how it went? How are you now?

Hey, I decided to hold off with Lebowitz but did reschedule with Dr. Lo in Philly for the 13th of February. I am still having doubts but really think deep down I want to get this done - I'm just scared as heck. See my new thread:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=33139.msg210470#msg210470

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024