Author Topic: Post op exercise  (Read 1105 times)

Offline hard2find

Hi,
Little confused, it has been stated that in the immediate 1-2 weeks post op recovery period that walking is an excellent thing to do. Yet it is recommended nothing should be done that would raise your blood pressure and heart rate. Doesn't walking do both those things??
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:56:03 AM by hard2find »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A slow, gentle walk is just fine.  But a brisk walk which raises heart rate and blood pressure is not recommended.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I don't want my patients to exercise for two weeks. I believe that raising your pulse or blood pressure during this time can lead to post operative bleeding and a hematoma. That's not to say however that you should sstay in bed for two weeks. My patients generally return to regular daily activity the next day.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline hard2find

Thank you both for a clear explanation.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Different surgeons do what in their experience works best for their patients. What is typically recommended is modified for each specific surgical case based of a number of factors including obviously what was done at surgery. While its useful to get a broad understanding what individual surgeons typically do ,each case is unique and your best resource is the surgeon who examined and operated on you.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I tend to be a little more aggressive in getting my patients back to their workout regimens, since if I told most of them to do nothing for a few weeks or a month, they'd go back to the gym on the second post-op day.  So I allow them to start cardio after a week (low impact) and I allow them to engage in resistance training after two week (no hands overhead at first, no chest) and they can incorporate chest training after four weeks.  Following this regimen, I have had no late bleeding or seromas, which are the two main concerns with too much activity too early. This is what I do with my patients, but you should follow the recommendations of your surgeon, especially since he or she knows how the procedure was performed. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024