Author Topic: Post op 3 days  (Read 751 times)

Offline P2324

Hey guys I had my operation 3 days ago and now I got swelling and bruising all around upper body(chest and under armpits). Is this normal? How long does this swelling last? Also I’m wearing a compression binder not a vest. Reading through other forums I believe it might be hematoma that is under the armpit, and if so how do I treat that?

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The bruising that you see post-operatively is normal in most cases, and the amount will vary.  Bruising in conjunction with excess swelling may be a sign of a hematoma, but bruising alone doesn't necessarily mean that you have a hematoma.  Your surgeon can tell you when you see him in follow up. Over the next few weeks, however, you'll notice the bruising drifting down your abdominal wall or around your back, and this is normal--just gravity and settling along tissue planes, and within 7 to 14 days, it typically resolves. Patience and follow up with your surgeon is all you should do right now. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline P2324

Is there any way to speed up the healing of the bruising? I also noticed this bruising around the nipple after removing the bandage. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:58:04 AM by P2324 »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Bruising and swelling and resolution thereof runs a fairly standard course.  There are naturopathic remedies that some people think speed this up a bit (arnica, bromelain) , but by now, you're past the period that you might have used those things.  Massage and activity will help speed things along, as long as you don't stir up any bleeding, which would be unusual after the first few days. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024