Author Topic: Permanent Stitches??  (Read 938 times)

Offline Gynamite

• Posting Member
I will be having gyno surgery soon, my doctor wants to cut skin off around my nipple, I think shave some nipple off, and use permanent stitches after the removal of mammary gland. Is this a good practice? I feel nervous to have permanent stitches in my chest for life, scared of if they will break some day. Please let me know if this is normal and if I should request a different method or surgeon. Thank you so much.

P.S sorry for the double post, I post in another area also. I'm just a little scared and trying to get an answer. 

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Your surgeon is probably using the sutures areound the areola not the nipple. This is fine. Many surgeons use them in order to help reduce stretching that can happen. Occaisionally they can cause a little bit of a problem with exposure but if that happens they can easily be removed. No worries.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Schuster explained, it sounds like your surgeon wants to use a stitch around the areola to prevent it from enlarging after it's been reduced.  I've found this to be less important than it is in women who undergo a similar "peri-areolar" lift, where the scar and areola can stretch considerably over time.  As pointed out, the downside risk is possible need for removal at some point, but it's rare that this is required. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024