Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 2201 times)

Offline gynepaul

• Posting Member
I had my first mammogram and breast ultrasound about seven months ago, shortly after I first noticed some breast growth.  The results of the imaging exams stated that the growth was consistent with gynecomastia and “probably” benign (classified as Bi-Rad 3).

Six months later, the imaging center sent me a letter wanting me to come back for a follow up exam.  After consulting my doctor, I went back in for another mammogram and ultrasound. This time, the report stated it was consistent with gynecomastia and benign (classified as Bi-Rad 2).  Bi-Rad 2 does not include the word “probably”.  That was good news. 

About a week after my second exam, I received another letter from the imaging center advising me of my results and stating that I should now be coming in for annual mammograms.  From my research, I didn’t think that annual mammograms were necessarily recommended for gynecomastia patients absent any other risk factors, which I don’t think I have. 

I’m wondering if this imaging center is just trying to drum up future business?  Their recommendation for annual  mammogram does not seem to be supported by current guidelines. 

Any thoughts?  What have y’all experienced with respect to mammograms?

aboywithgirls

I am recommended to also have annual mammograms and ultrasound scan as well. I have 2 risk factors however.  I have shad significant breast growth since my thyroidectomy due to cancer. I have also had benign granuloma detected. I have also had to go back for follow up images because of the benign granulomas..

I had also just posted in another forum about my most recent mammogram.  I expressed breast milk during the scan. The technician said that it is quite common and not to worry. It was most likely because of hormones that stimulated milk production.  They assured me that I wasn't pregnant.  Lol. They said that it's more common in larger breasted women to express during the exam.

Offline SideSet

I get an annual mammogram. It is a bit uncomfortable, but I’ve always been handled with consideration, courtesy, and respect.  Good breast health is important 

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I spent most of working life in group health care.  Breast cancer for men WITH GYNECOMASTIA, is about 1% that of women.  Mammograms have definite risk from the x-rays. XXY men have about 3% the risk of  women.  As the risk for men with and without gynecomastia is the same, the mammogram has 100 times the risk per cancer detected for men compared to women, multiple ways including false positives.. Unless a man has the same breast cancer related BRCA genes as women can have.  

Offline gynepaul

• Posting Member
I spent most of working life in group health care.  Breast cancer for men WITH GYNECOMASTIA, is about 1% that of women.  Mammograms have definite risk from the x-rays. XXY men have about 3% the risk of  women.  As the risk for men with and without gynecomastia is the same, the mammogram has 100 times the risk per cancer detected for men compared to women, multiple ways including false positives.. Unless a man has the same breast cancer related BRCA genes as women can have. 
Alchemist - your post echos the research I have done.  I don’t have any risk factors other than the gynecomastia (although I suspect I may be x-x-y, but haven’t been tested for that yet).  That’s why I was surprised that the imaging center is recommending annual mammograms.  I think I’ll talk to my doctor about this on my next appointment.  

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
You guys are talking way over my head about this. I have had one mammogram last year and it just proved I did not have cancer but I did have gynecomastia.  That is as far as my poor knowledge on this subject goes.  I know a lot about gynecomastia but I have no clue about the xxy gene or how it is determined.
If you got them flaunt them.  We all wear bras so wear what you like and to hell with the rest.

Offline Johndoe1

My doctors have never had me get a mammogram, but I have had breasts exams before. The first one I ever had was from a female doctor I had at the time. She immediately spotted my gynecomastia and started exams. My male doctors of late have been hit and miss. My secondary doctor I have for a weight condition is all on top of it. She always asks about them and we have had good discussions about my breasts.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline SideSet

When I have my annual checkup, my doctor always performs a breast exam.  She also showed me how and told me to try to do a self breast exam every month.  She also said sonograms are usually used in conjunction with mammograms if the breast tissue is dense or if a contraindication, like a cyst, shows up in the mammogram.  She said dense breast tissue is usually associated with what they call self-supporting breasts, and she characterized mine as semi-self-supporting. I have not had a sonogram.

My doctor also said not to let the terms self-supporting or semi-self-supporting fool you.  At a certain size, and she said I am easily there, you should wear a bra, regardless.  She said that although wearing a bra will not affect sagging now or later, it is essential to avoid sore breast tissue or back and even shoulder pain from the otherwise unsupported weight on my chest, especially during activities that cause a lot of breast movement, plus sensitive nipples can get chapped from rubbing inside my tops during the constant jiggling of braless breasts during routine activities.  She said sagging is related to cooper's ligaments and that some exercises can strengthen them and help with sagging, but over time, gravity will always win out, especially with breasts as big as mine.

Offline chaos_agent

• Posting Member
  • rolling with the punches
i’m late 50’s. have had gyno since middle school. my girls are relatively stable. maybe some small growth. been in the 38A-38B size range for a while. however, the girls are definitely more feminine. more ”definition”, closer together, bounce.

never had a mammogram. never done self exam. nor have i discussed my gyno with my dr.

for someone like me, no obvious issue other maybe consider a bra for impact activities. should i ask my doctor to send me for a mammogram? never do self exams.

aboywithgirls

I'm no expert but a self exam would be a good idea. You can go on YouTube, they have several videos on what to do and what you should be looking for. 

I have mammograms because of my family history and the severity of my gynecomastia. 

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I spent most of working life in group health care.  Breast cancer for men WITH GYNECOMASTIA, is about 1% that of women.  Mammograms have definite risk from the x-rays. XXY men have about 3% the risk of  women.  As the risk for men with and without gynecomastia is the same, the mammogram has 100 times the risk per cancer detected for men compared to women, multiple ways including false positives.. Unless a man has the same breast cancer related BRCA genes as women can have. 
Alchemist - your post echos the research I have done.  I don’t have any risk factors other than the gynecomastia (although I suspect I may be x-x-y, but haven’t been tested for that yet).  That’s why I was surprised that the imaging center is recommending annual mammograms.  I think I’ll talk to my doctor about this on my next appointment. 

I used to develop software.  I bet that is the default reminder message and the software does not consider risk.  There is an awful lot of stuff   I here a lot of complaints about things like that in the Electronic Health Records.  And one of my docs has a system that is impossibly frustrating trying to get all things correct without automatic substitutions.

Offline Johndoe1

I have had breast exams before by a doctor, but never have I been recommended for a mammogram. As I age that might change, but the research I have done also echos this same information. Men in general have a 100 times less chance of developing breast cancer. I don't know if there is research on the ratio of gynecomastia men vs non gynecomastia men who develop breast cancer since you seem to only here from men who were flat chested and made the discovery more difficult since breast exams were not being done. My guess would be it would be proportional to the ratio of gynecomastia men vs non gynecomastia men? Or a VERY small number at best.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024