Author Topic: What prompted you to try your first bra?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline blad

Recent discussions made me wonder what prompted forum members to try their first bra. Was trying a bra for the first time a result of others suggesting you may need one or would benefit from one, or was it completely a conclusion you personally had that perhaps a bra would be a helpful garment.

For me, as I have stated before, I developed breasts around the age of 13. As one can imagine, this came to the attention of virtually the entire school body; both from obvious projection through my clothing to the really obvious exposed breasts during skins teems in gym sports. At that time of my life I was often misidentified as a budding girl by those who did not know me, and looking back on pictures of myself from that time it is obvious why they would make that honest mistake.

This obvious presentation of breasts made me a target of constant comments that "I needed a bra" or "what is your bra size", as only kids in school can do so well. These constant comments were deflected by me the best I could while being deeply embarrassed. But after a period of time a light bulb went off; would I actually fit a bra and how would it feel to wear one?

Trying one of my sister's bras at home alone one day confirmed that I did actually fit a bra rather well. Further, I was unexpectedly surprised that I liked how the bra felt to wear and that I thought it looked good on me. At the time of my growth, it really did look like a girl wearing her bra. The positive feelings of the experience lead me to wearing a bra as much as I could and finding ways to buy my own. The initial feelings were a confusing mix of young hormones, the sensations of wearing a bra, the secretive element, the confirmation of the comments made by others that I needed one, and the realization that I actually was more comfortable to wear one. The comfort aspect became more and more clear with less bouncing and even more comfortable bent over a desk doing homework. I began to hate the feeling of being braless during those times I could not wear one.

This was a journey that I had to navigate on my own in a confusing time of the teen age years without internet. But I am not sure when I would have considered trying a bra without all those comments made by others. Although those comments were not made to be helpful, they were correct in the end. I almost wished I could have been forthright and told them, "yes you are right that I needed a bra and I wear one now"

As time went on I was increasingly more comfortable to wear a bra daily, and am satisfied to do so. I don't like the sensations of being braless, and a bit of me still likes how it feels to just wear a bra. Positive reinforcement to wear a bra for the rest of my life and be content.

But, to my question, how did you come to try a bra for the first time? Were you told you should try a bra? Or did you just logically come to that conclusion to try one for the first time on your own? How did you feel when you first tried a bra.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:53:56 AM by blad »
If the bra fits, wear it.

Offline 42CSurprise!

I'm a bit of an outlier in this conversation, a fact I've touched upon both in private conversations and on a couple of threads.  My relationship with brassieres is rooted in early sexual trauma... so I was a crossdresser before I felt a need to wear a brassiere out of need.  Yes, I developed small breasts in puberty and have long felt embarrassed by their presence.  And yes, my breasts have begun to grow with my age related reduction in testosterone, which is coupled with an increase in estrogen.  Whether I need to wear a brassiere, I am experimenting with it and am exploring the relationship between early sexual trauma, some experiences with crossdressing that I haven't engaged with seriously over thirty years ago, and with breasts now filling the brassiere I'm wearing.  So it's a complicated story... but I know at least part of that story is best explored here with other men who actually have breasts, rather than with men who long to have breasts and must rely on breast forms to fill out their brassieres.  I have spent about a month chatting with those fellow, but I don't think I belong with that crowd.  When I mention this crowd and our relationship with having breasts, my comments are universally ignored.  They're more interested in fantasy than reality... our reality is breasts that often welcome a brassiere.

boobs are normal

Very uncomfortable breasts and jiggle even when only an 36A cup + Docs advice tests and formal diagnosis (male ex navy! ) 
Great advice especially they are, as expected, a bit bigger now.
Will be forever grateful to him

aboywithgirls

I had the biggest boobs in my class even when I graduated from high school. 

I was teased in school, almost identical to Blad's story.  However it was my own grandmother who made the comment to my mother that I needed to start wearing a bra. The next day my mom explained bras to me and gave me some hand me down bras from my sister. I wore bras at home for a few years until when I was 16 she told me that I needed to start wearing a bra full time. She took me to JCPENNEY for my first fitting and new bras. I know that the lady who help me thought that I was a girl. I was a 34C. She asked us if I needed any new panties as well.

I've been wearing a bra full time for over 30 years now. 

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
I’ve had some breast growth since puberty. Enough to keep me from ever swimming publicly again. I had tried on my mom’s halter top as a teen but never put on a real bra until 40 years later when my boobs had just gotten too big to be comfortable without. For two years I resisted a full bra by trying pull overs and compression tees first. One day I saw the A Bra That Fits site and used their calculator. Had my wife help me measure to be certain as the size they recommended was huge! Still, even my wife had to admit I was just to big to go without support and she ordered a selection of bras to find my real size. That was just two months ago.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:51:09 PM by Traveler »

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
She took me to JCPENNEY for my first fitting and new bras. I know that the lady who help me thought that I was a girl. I was a 34C.
Did your lack of testosterone also mean you lacked facial hair and a lowish boy's voice, and had your pelvis already taken on the shape of a girl's, and did you have hair that could have been mistaken for a girl's?  I'm just wondering how I can come across as more understanding in the future if/when I meet a teenage boy with such a case of gyne and how they might be handling it, as obviously it's becoming more and more likely that I would.

boobs are normal

MarcoB
Reading what someone wants to share is one thing but I think your probing questions perhaps go a little too far.
Just a personal opinion

Offline blad

MarcoB
Reading what someone wants to share is one thing but I think your probing questions perhaps go a little too far.
Just a personal opinion
I would have to agree too.

Offline 42CSurprise!

I agree as well that this is a wonderful place for us to share our experience and that personal questions would best be addressed in conversations, rather than on the board.  I've done that with a few men here.  This is touchy simply because we don't want to make it into some voyeuristic exchange, even if what is shared is sometimes both personal and a touch erotic.  We each have our own relationship with this unfolding journey... breasts/no breasts, brassieres/no brassieres.  Everyone wants to feel safe exploring those matters in an online forum.

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
MarcoB
Reading what someone wants to share is one thing but I think your probing questions perhaps go a little too far.
Just a personal opinion
Understood, and I should have specifically said, "If you aren't comfortable telling us, that's understandable."  ABWG has been pretty open though, and I'm just trying to prepare for any possible time in the future when I meet a teenager with a big problem with gyne, as I would want to make them as comfortable as I can and not be just one more insensitive or even well-intensioned but hurtful person.  What would a teenager in that position want?  (There are a few others here who could answer that too.)  I certainly had not even heard of the problem 40-47 years ago when I was a teenager; in fact, my education about it started 3½ years ago when my own problem started.

Offline 42CSurprise!

My guess is that a teenager wouldn't want attention drawn to ANYTHING about him and certainly not the condition of his chest... unless, of course, the teen was your son and you wanted to include this in "the talk."  Honestly, this line of inquiry makes no sense to me.  If you meet a boy with diminutive boobs keep your eyes off his chest.

boobs are normal

MarcoB
Your justification just escalates your questions to a rather more creepy level.
You would not (I hope) try and start  such a conversation with a teenage girl. Don't even think about it with young boys

Offline blad

I hope we can get back to the original topic of this thread. 

boobs are normal

Here here Blad

I fear the  thread might die,
It would be a shame as it had great potential for genuine newbies.

If necessary resurrect it under a new title perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:52:41 AM by boobs are normal »

Offline Dale Warnio

• Silver Member
I developed breasts at the same time the girls in my class were developing breasts.  My body was a bit soft, some  not unkindly referred to it as baby fat.  Others, though, not kindly, said I needed to wear a bra.
 I finally gave in and tried on one of my mother’s 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024