Author Topic: General surgeon  (Read 4826 times)

Offline johnnybot

• Silver Member
My mom thinks my medicare will cover the surgery. She says they have to, just like if I had a huge growth or something would anyone else mind getting the surgery done by a normal sugeon and then going to a p.s for the scars?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:04:07 AM by johnnybot »

Offline mkit8971

• Bronze Member
How old are you?  Since your over 65 and Have gyne thats been around for years I doubt Medicare will cover it.  Unless you meant Medicaid perhaps but still its doubtful.

If he was 65, that makes his mom probably between 85-90. 

Offline johnnybot

• Silver Member
im not 65 im 19, And is it true that it could be took as cancerus
LOL why did you thin i was 65. If I was 65 I wouldnt care about boobs id be waiting for the next peek 10 years so I could start wearing diepers

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
Oh..  Its just what we call Medicare in the United States is essentially a social insurance program for senior citizens.

As far as your original question.. It depends.  If a "normal" surgeon goes in under the suspicion that you have cancerous growths, he may even take the nipples.

Try any angle possible, but if you are looking for cosmetic appeal, make sure you have that understanding with whoever does your procedure.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Excuse us for having a bit of fun with your choice of words.

I presume when you said a "Normal" surgeon you meant a General Surgeon.

It would be alarming for most here to find that their cosmetic surgeons were abnormal.

As previously pointed out, Medicare is connected with social security benefits and usually available to the retired.

Almost any medical plan would cover breast cancer. Even in those rare cases where it appears in men. Cancer is a pathological condition.

Conversely, it would be rare for any medical plan (in the U.S. at least) to cover the cost of male breast reduction for Gynecomastia. The reason is that we are statistically normal and usually there is no pathology.
Grandpa Dan

Offline johnnybot

• Silver Member
Well Im in canada and our country wide medical insurance is called medicare. I dont know about every state but im pretty sure in canada they are a lot easier going with the care then in the states.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
From what I hear, you may be in luck. We have heard from a number of Canadians who have had surgery under their medical coverage.

I was unaware that your program was called "Medicare".

Our medicare is a government operated thing that would cover medical expenses if you can find a Dr. who accepts it.

We can opt to use a private plan paid for with the same funds. I have done this and am happy with the result. A competitive business does a better job at lower cost than a government operation which lacks competition.

All that aside, you might start a new thread asking for a referral in your local area. I'll almost bet you get a good response.

Offline 10101

• Posting Member
okay to clear this up, im canadian, and OHIP only covers "surgical excission" it does not in any way cover liposuction. If you were going for excision only glandular removal than it is covered by OHIP. Liposuction is considered cosmetic and not covered by OHIP. I would know, i had it done.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
You should read the Canadian section of the Locate a surgeon on the boards. There is a lot of information about surgery in Canada.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline johnnybot

• Silver Member
Im going to to for the surgery im from quebec they said id have to send the bill in after the surgery because its a different province it wont cover upfront but if I get the surgery and the lipo if I send in both they will refund for the surgery just not the lipo?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
johnny...

Yeah, most likely Quebec health care will not pay for liposuction...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
as an overall rule, general surgeons are not that competent with gyne.  some are better than others, but they just care about removal, not cosmetic aftereffects, which ps's are much more attentive to.  lots of ps's have had to clean up after generals who just cut a line without knowing about hiding it with incisions on the edge of the areola instead.  so normally not worth the risk, even for $$$. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024