Author Topic: Exercise/weight loss before surgery  (Read 2763 times)

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I have a concern/question about the value or benefit of losing weight before surgery.  I imagine some of you, very much like me, have issues with diet and exercise and might even have a tendency to cycle through overdoing it and then under doing it. 

My DR told me that my gyne was 90% breast tissue and 10% fat. I am worried that if I lose weight before surgery, the problem will seem less severe and the DR will not extract as much as he could -- so that if I do gain some weight after surgery, the fat will still be there. 

Does anyone understand what I am saying and have any ideas? 

Thank you all.   

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
weight loss before surgery is recommended by every surgeon ....
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Thank you for the reply! 

Do you know why?

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
Thank you for the reply! 

Do you know why?

its simple really there are several reasons actually
Sometimes if  you lose lots of weight you cut down the cost of your surgery. This summer I lost 40lb, it decreased my man boobs and Im pretty sure I cut down a few hundred dollars of the surgery cost. Also if you have lots of fat and get surgery your results could be only okay, as suppose to losing lots of fat and getting yourself into shape and then having better results.

Offline MSJ108

If you have a gland issue losing weight will not help. If you have a fat issue, losing weight may help. It is worth trying to shed some pounds if you have a fat issue in my opinion.

DrBermant

Hello everyone,

I have a concern/question about the value or benefit of losing weight before surgery.  I imagine some of you, very much like me, have issues with diet and exercise and might even have a tendency to cycle through overdoing it and then under doing it. 

My DR told me that my gyne was 90% breast tissue and 10% fat. I am worried that if I lose weight before surgery, the problem will seem less severe and the DR will not extract as much as he could -- so that if I do gain some weight after surgery, the fat will still be there. 

Thank you all.   
Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery is usually better than losing weight after.

In general, I recommend that my patients get to a weight / body fat percentage with which they are comfortable.  That number varies from individual to individual.  The exception is for those dealing with extraordinary low body fat such as my Olympic athletes, marathon runners, and bodybuilders.  For these patients, I prefer their "off season" body fat.  Too little fat and my options to target gland first are limited.  The only way I can get rid of almost all gland requires a little fat to move into the defect.  We are glad to help our patients explore such issues during their consultation or Preliminary Remote Discussion.

Body Fat Percentage Analysis does not necessarily correlate with Body Mass Calculation  The most accurate way to determine body fat is an Archimedes water displacement tank available to very few and not practical for most.  Calipers have a steep learning curve and are not effective for the loose skin issues after massive weight loss.  The most practical are impedance devices but these are the least accurate.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:47:18 PM by DrBermant »

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
Hello everyone,

Thank you all.   

Weight loss is always ideal before any type of liposuction. Having said that, if you truly have mostly glandular breast tissue, this will not respond to weight loss that much. With liposuction, your actual fat cells are removed and even with weight loss, you DON'T actually get rid of any fat cells - they remain constant in number, but they shrink in response to the weight loss. If you look at some of my pictures and many of the other doctors on this site, many of the men are not necessarily thin or at their ideal body weight. But many of them still get excellent results with surgery. So if you are ready for surgery, go for it.

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024