Author Topic: Is SmartLipo Enough???  (Read 3282 times)

Offline 90405

• Posting Member
I am scheduled to have SmartLipo at the end of this week. However; I have been visiting this website and others about the problem. I assume that I have pysuedogynecomastia and my problem is not that intense. I am in good shape and I just have a little excess fat. But like the rest of you I am tired of not going to the beach, wearing undershirts, etc.

My question is this. Do I need to get an excision or should the smartlipo be enough. I have read mixed things from different doctors and bloggers. My particular doctor is not a plastic surgeon but a dermatologist and I am confindent in his Lipo abilities, but I not sure if Lipo is all I need. I pulled reports on the doctor and everything seems fine. This a reputable office associated with UCLA.

I am also worried because while I am not complaining, the lipo is costing only 2500 which seems a lot cheaper than everyone else.

Does anyone have any reccommendations and for that matter good doctors in Los Angeles/Orange County.

Offline haisook

• Bronze Member
  • Hormones Deranged.
What I know is that dermatologists shouldn't be doing liposuction for gynecomastia. Only plastic surgeons are the ones qualified to do this. Gynecomastia is a cosmetic condition, not just a tumor or mass that may be extracted. Only a plastic surgeon can extract stuff while causing the least disfigurement possible. Also, you need to visit a plastic surgeon so that he may tell if you have glandular tissue in addition to the fat. Without excision of the gland, you may end up with the same result as before. Dermatologists do not know much about this stuff.
I'm a medical student with gynecomastia. Yeah, medical professionals get it too.

Offline 90405

• Posting Member
I guess the Doctor is a dermatologist surgeon and he has done this type of procedure before...

My real question is do I need an excision or not? If I do not need an excision than I feel this doctor can do the procedure and if not then i need a plastic surgeon...though it sounds like I might need a plastic surgeon regardless???

Offline 90405

• Posting Member
I am glad that I stumbled into this site before my procedure...though I wish it would have been earlier. I have decided to go see two PS in the area tomorrow. I am now thinking I want to cancel my appointment though I am worried about him charging me the 2,500. I did not sign anything nor have I paid him yet. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
If you don't have glands, then you don't need excision and lipo is probably enough.  BUT, you still should go to a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a lot of gyne lipo for something like this.  If you haven't signed anything and haven't given them a credit card or anything, then just cancel.  Then take some time to go through this website and do this thing right.  You can't be messing around with something like surgery, even if it's cosmetic.  It amazes me how nonchalant people are about this and then they come here distraught about how terrible the results are.  Well what can you expect if you don't do your due diligence?  Consider yourself lucky, but really, you need to be more on top of things! 

Offline 90405

• Posting Member
Thanks for the support...I guess I just wanted to be over it and was ignorant to what gynecmastia is. But since that time I have literally spent a ton of time doing research. It sounds like lipo can work, but most people want a doctor that will make that decision in the operating room.

I called and cancelled my appointment (left a message) and I guess I will deal with that mess tomorrow, but in the mean time I am seeing two doctors tomorrow for consultations.

Anyone have any comments on Dr. Sanjay Grover and Dr. Steven Teitelbaum???

Offline PBC

• Bronze Member
Good work cancelling your surgery. What I was reading had disaster written all over it. Dermatologists can pop zits and maybe give ya botox, but gyne reduction? Somewhere on this board was somebody who had lipo done on their gyne by a dermatologist, and the result was akin to mutilation.

GynO_DuDe

Depends how soft the tissue being removed is ... first time round when I had my initial op I had lots of gland, so lipo/gland removal was neccessary, on my touch up, after a lot of scar tissue had formed and a bit of fat remained this was removed with lipo only, and im now healing.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024