Author Topic: Soy containing products  (Read 3207 times)

Offline D24

• Bronze Member
Hi everyone, just wanted to share something that's just crossed my mind and if anyone could give their thoughts that would be good.

I'm into bodybuilding so every day my food intake consists of:

Whey protein drink
Tuna
White fish
Chicken
Rice
Potatoes
Vegetables

I do however enjoy the occasional 'cheat' meal/treat so what i tend to do is have a small amount of dairy free ice cream made from soy that's very low in calories and sugar etc compared to normal dairy ice cream so that it's a cheat but a 'healthy' cheat if you see what i mean. I have read articles about soy produces estrogen, I've also read articles that promote the benefits of soy in both men and women. Does anyone know of any experiences where soy can cause gyno to grow again? Or is it soy consumption in massive amounts that would cause a notable increase in estrogen?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The questions regarding Soy and other sources of Phytoestrogens come up from time to time. It is a common concern and should not be ignored.

Phytoestrogens are plant compounds that are similar to and/or function like Estrogen..

These compounds are found in many of the common vegetables we consume every day, Soy being only one source of many.

To rest your concerns, these plant compounds are only about 1/1000 the strength of the animal hormones so they would have to be consumed in vast quantities to be significant. In addition, there is the feeling among some people that the Phytoestrogens may tie up potential receptors and thereby prevent the more potent natural Estrogen from linking. If this is true, the dietary Phytoestrogens may actually prevent Gynecomastia.

I'm not sure whether I believe that Phytoestrogens are either good or bad. My belief could most accurately be summarized by saying that I think we have more important things to worry about. If you are eating a well balanced and varied diet otherwise, I fail to see where a Soy supplement would be cause for concern.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Absolutely agree with Paa-Paw.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
x3.  i'm a heavy soy eater with no problem, it was the old milk days that my gyne kicked in.  and you'd have to consume huge amounts to even get close to the levels the scare pushers say would be a concern.  nobody, not even me, eats it in that kind of volume. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:43:33 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline D24

• Bronze Member
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm glad to hear that consuming it won't convert to estrogen.

Offline itoffishul

• Posting Member
one thing many people dont realize is that soy is genetically modified...one of the big health concerns in the world today few in america know about.

why? cuz our corn is genetically modified, or GMO as they say...and corn is a huge cash crop for us...it's in EVERYTHING basically.

as for soy and other GMO's it is based on science that has not been tested yet...many studies have linked GMO to organ failure in lab animals and other nasty things, plus they blast the stuff with tons of carinogenic pestcides...personally i'd stay away from soy just from a moral standpoint cuz im tired of the food industry that essentially gave me gyne in the first place getting away with their cheap, bullshit additives and ruining ppls health for a cheap buck.

research GMO's and soy!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
that would be silly.  like i said above, i eat more soy than probably anyone here, and 95% of it is organic.  

gmo issues and soy or beef or dairy are basically different things.  should i boycott my great friendly local organic mom and pop tofu producer just because some industry giant is in the same business?  that makes no sense at all! 

don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.  you were suggesting a few other threads for closing.  let me suggest this one too. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:41:58 AM by headheldhigh01 »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024